We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help required regarding pests and diseases in commercial narcissus production  (Read 1479 times)

SusanS

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with information for an assignment I am writing for the pest and disease module of the horticultural course I am currently studying.  I am looking at the significant P+Ds which affect commercial Narcissus production within the UK and am struggling to find the current control measures for the following problems:
•   Large narcissi fly, (Merodon equestris)
•   Stem eelworm (Ditylenchus dipsaci)
•   Bulb scale mite (Steneotarsonemus laticeps)
•   Leaf scorch (Stagonopora curtisii)
•   Smoulder (Botrytis narcissicola)
•   Neck rot (Fusarium oxysporum fsp.narcissi, Botrytis narcissicola and Penicillium hirsutum)
•   Basal rot (Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. narcissi)

a large proportion of the information I have gathered uses chemicals which are now banned from use within the UK, and I have been unsuccessful in locating up todate treatments via the internet - I'm sure it is in there somewhere  ???

I would be grateful for any help you can offer me in trying to locate this info

Cheers
Susan  :)

Darren's t'other half

Erwin

You will have to give it a hot water treatment (with 1% formaline for big narcissus and 0,5% formaline for small narcissus), i will try to find some info for you in English.

I will get back to you about this when i find something.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Hi Susan, may be you'll find something in this recent symposium report. Just part 1, but there might be more . Too late already to search today, will try again? tomorrow if I find some time.

http://www.hdc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Daffodil%20Master%20Handout%20Part%201.pdf
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
and here is another page :

http://www.hdc.org.uk/research-projects/bulbs-and-outdoor-flowers

I presume when going to the main HDC pages you'll find more in the archives (under Bulbs & Outdoor Flowers)

SusanS

Hi,
just a quickie to say thank you to everyone who as replied either via this thread or by PM.  It is greatly appreciated.  I have not yet had time to look at the information you have provided yet, we have had two lovely days of dry weather and even a little bit of sunshine so I have taken the opportunity to catch up on some of my practical tasks.

Back to the assignment tomorrow.
Thanks for your help
Susan  :-*
Darren's t'other half

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal