We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Identification project- notes  (Read 44058 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Seed Identification project- notes
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:03:39 PM »
Maybe after a while it will be necessary to divide the topic into, say, A-E, F-L, M-R etc. Then in time perhaps a closeup of the relevant flower, or whole fruit etc could be added. And it may be worth noting whether the seed is fresh or dried. In Tony's crocus pics the seeds are quite different visually from the fresh seeds in Mark's. Sorry, but as soon as something starts, there seem to pop up all kinds of difficulties.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 09:28:23 PM »
Lesley, of course there are a mass of difficulties and wrinkles in such a project. But failing the money to employ someone in a seed bank to photograph everything in a studio and then someone else to match the photos, we decided to take the plunge and make a start. If someone else manages to do the job as thoroughly as might be hoped, then that will be fantastic, but we thought that such an undertaking could be a VERY long time coming  :P
I don't think we'll sort things alphabetically  in the Forum: because the list can be searched to find the pix and if someone is doing that it is easy enough to then find photos here or elsewhere on the web.

Meantime it is not too bad if there are duplicates... I would hope to sort those out in time, choosing clearest pix.  I am keeping a list, of course, plus the photos so all can be collated on a disc etc in the long run.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:10:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
EDIT BY MAGGI : comments moved from this thread: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4426.new#new  8)

I have not contributed to this thread yet. However, as a seed packeter I can now see just how valuable a resource it can be. I have had a slight question mark in the back of my mind for a couple of the donations received but, not being able to positively identify the seed, have let it be packeted as named. Next year I will take part in this aspect of seed identification and will contribute pictures of my own. Thanks to Chris, in particular, for his efforts this year.
Is there yet a site that collects these images together in alphabetical listing?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:02:13 PM by Maggi Young »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
It is to be hoped that such a site or resource in CD form perhaps, will be available in the future. I am collating all the photos here offline of course, and listing them.
There is no need for these to be in alphbetical order in this format on the Forum because the names are all listed and so searchable.

I am delighted that the worth of such a project is becoming evident.

It is important, of course, for all contributers of photos to have verified the true naming of the seed before adding to the store......photos of seed just " called" X but not verified by the grower as X is no use!  :-X

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
I have a few accumulating and must get on to them soon. Seed as "Iris sp" is perhaps not of much use as there are so many and "sp" could be any one of them.. Same for any other genus. Maybe put a pic of the iris in flower (and leaf) earlier in the season and get a positive ID then apply it to next year's seed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
Lesley, a good idea, maybe we could take it one step further and as a rule attach a flower picture to the seed as a further ID tool? Maybe one for next year!? ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
 That sounds like a worthwhile further refinement :)

Hristo

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »
Ooops just noticed I had listed a load of pictures only identified at the genus level, I have deleted them to avoid any confusion. Put me behind a camera.......... ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
An interesting link  to see watercolours of seeds:
http://www.see-seeds.co.uk

The Scottish artist Janet Mary Robinson has made a collection of paintings of seeds, covering 25 species, to make an illustrated record "A to Z of seeds"
 ( there is no example shown for "Q"!) in association with seed company Jelitto.

Quote from "Ornamentals News":
Perennial Seed Supplier Jelitto Seeds sponsored the series, which includes 26 paintings in total.

Among those on show will be depictions of Crambe cordifolia (Bleeding Heart), Fibigea clypeata (Roman Shields), Ranunculus gramineus (Grassy-leaved Buttercup) and the jellyfish-like seed of Scabiosa columbaria (Pincushion flower).

Artist, natural history and science illustrator Janet Mary Robinson said:  "The whole project started when I acquired a microscope. This gave me a view of the wonderful world of seeds. There were jellyfish, pig's ears and crazy hairstyles - all shapes that are caused by the bizarre adaptations of the seeds to their means of distribution. For example, seeds of the species Dicentra have little lunch boxes, which offer ants a snack - in exchange for free transport. I have attempted to capture all these amazing, colourful features in my watercolours."

Margot Jelitto said: "Janet is an artist who doesn't only have the necessary technical skills for nature paintings. She also has a love of her subjects and of detail that a natural illustrator needs to convey the hidden beauty of nature."

All  of the paintings are now available in digital form on the following website: www.see-seeds.co.uk "
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:18:06 PM by Maggi Young »

PeterT

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Hi Maggie, I thought bleeding hearts referd to a Dicentra not Crambie cordifolia ??? :-\
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
You and me both, Peter.... but that is the quote from the article!  :-X

Edit: And looking again at the photo on the website, I see the Crambe picture has the subtitle in German of Herzblattriger Meerkohl.... so I think that's where the confusion has arisen  ::)  More to do with heart shaped (?) leaves than bleedinghearts!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:44:36 PM by Maggi Young »

TCJ

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
Hi Maggie, Hi PeterT,

sure enough someone had to spot this misnomer of Crambe cordifolia.

Whilst your explanation, Maggie, has a lot to go for I am afraid the truth is a human error. I simply got into the wrong row of my table with botanical, English and German names when writing the press release (Dicentra instead of Crambe). Quite embarrassing.

Sorry for the confusion.

To make good for it here the exclusive information that Janet Robinson has been awarded a silver gilt medal by the RHS for selected eight of these paintings at the BBC Gardener's World Live last weekend in Birmingham.

All the best

Till Jelitto

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Welcome, Till and thank you for your contribution about the muddle.... easy to make these mistakes ;)

This is good news about Janet Robinson's success .... congratulations to her for that and thanks to you, Till,  for the  information.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »
This is a handy site for north american wildflower seed ID.....
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/search_image.php?start=0&id_collection=12&pagecount=10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
Those of you seeking scale photos of seed types may be interested in this  website, part of the United States Dept. of Agriculture Ag. Research Service : http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/images/sbml/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal