We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating Australian seeds  (Read 1492 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Germinating Australian seeds
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
I bought some packets of Australian Wildflower Seeds a couple of years
ago and they recently worked themselves to the surface of my box of
seeds.  Would they still be viable?

I knew the pea family ones would be - Kennedia, Gompholobium,
Bossiaea, Hovea, etc.  But I was very doubtful about the others.

I usually abrade or nip the hard seedcases of the pea family, but the
back of the packet said to pour boiling water on the seeds and allow it
to cool overnight before sowing.  I did that for most of the seeds but also
did my usual routine for a few from each package.  Well, the packet
instructions were the best - Indigofera australis germinated almost
immediately. The rest are slower, but I am sure they will also do well.

The only non-pea I have tried so far is Anigozanthos mangliesii, the
red and green kangaroo paw.  I was very dubious about the instructions
which were fine until I came to the part about water.  Sow on surface
of sterilized sandy soil, add Wildflower Seed Starter granules (I shook a
bottle of natural mesquite Liquid Smoke over the seeds), submerge a
quarter of the pot in water, put on a clear plastic cover and put in a warm
shady place.  Mine is on a windowsill in a heated room.  I have never
germinated anything in a pot sitting in water, though I guess waterlilies
might need that treatment. 

Well, it's been a couple of weeks and a kangaroo paw has sprouted!

I guess I had better sow the rest of the packets.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Banksia_Man

Re: Germinating Australian seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Hello Diane,

Still viable? Probably, except the protoaceae (if they've been taken out of the seed head)
Many aussie species are fire dependant for germination, and so nothing germinates for years until there's a fire.

Now your Anigozanthos manglesii have germinated, ease off on the water. I would definately take it out of the 1/4 submerged position.
A. manglesii gets to like it dryer and dryer as it gets older and older. So when they're big enough to pot on use a very well drained mix, in a deep pot. They are are susceptible to root rot when big, black spot if dark and humid (UK and Vancouver winters) and don't let them get below -3°C. If it gets reasonably big this season and you manage to keep it through the first winter it should flower in April / May next year. I have one which is sending up a flower now.

I have had flowers in previous years but I have trouble keeping them more than 1 winter so I tend to treat this species as a bi-annual

Good luck
Banksia Man

Rhône Valley

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »
Banksia-Man,

So you sow new kangaroo paws every year?  Do your plants produce
the seed for this, or do you have to send to Australia for it?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Banksia_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
Hello Diane

I only sow A manglesii each year. Anigozanthos seeds stay viable for years and I don't have much difficulty germinating A manglesii, so I sow only a little. I still have enough left for several more years and I last visited Australia in 2007. As far as producing new seed in N. hemisphere temperate climates, I did once have new "plantlets" which grew out of old flower heads (rather like ornamental garlics). I have been assured that this is the seed germinating in place. However this occured only once, and I have never managed to recuperate anything that looked as if it might be viable seed.

The other species are generally easier to over-winter having green (rather than green-grey foliage) which is much less susceptible to black ink spot disease.  So these I tend to divide. I have divided over more than 5 years the species A rufus, A bicolor and various "bush series" hybrides. Last autummn, I managed to divide once A viridiflora and I hope it will soon flower. Otherwise I did once find and have stilll got a self sown anigozanthos growing: it has green (not green-grey) leaves and as it has not yet flowered identification is difficult especially as Anigozanthos is supposed to hybridise quite easily.

Best regards,
Banksia Man

Rhône Valley

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal