We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013  (Read 20739 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »
OK Hans I want to know exactly how you got grant-duffii to flower. While my plant is dormant I can move it to the better position. Grown from seed more years ago than I care to check.

Hi Pat, it is really a slow species, here it grows in full sun on heavy clay next to the drainage of my garden - in Winter it has a lot of water but is totally dry in summer. I feed it moderatly with fertilizers low in Nitrogen. So far only one plant is flowering with one flower - hope other will follow next year.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

arillady

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »
Thanks Hans for your cultural tips for grant-duffii.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »
Iris lusitanica (Spanish Iris) is in flower with beautiful yellow flower.
obviously I recieved it from Spain ;) Many thanks
You can see the horrible weather we have today...there is dust everywhere that has arrived from Egypt.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:31:57 PM by Miriam »
Rehovot, Israel

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
It has indeed been a good (and long) season here for I.unguicularis.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
I agree JRC, I noticed a flower on mine yesterday and if others develop it will be the third flush of the season.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Pauli

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
Also a rather good show in Austria:
I. unguicularis cretica
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:41:12 PM by Pauli »
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
Iris cretensis. This plant just surprises me each year - one minute no sign of flowers and the next..................
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »
Heavens!!! Why won't mine do that? I have a grudging flower or maybe two, each year - if I'm lucky! >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John85

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Lesley
I read that cutting the foliage in mid summer(here in July) encourages flowering the next year,but i never tried it myself as unfortunately i don't have the plant ;I grow only the tall unguicularis.
May be it is worth a try?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Iris prismatica from the garden today, from seed sown September 2009 and flowering for the first time. Quite a raggedy clump and the pictures aren't very good, sorry.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Iris prismatica from the garden today, from seed sown September 2009 and flowering for the first time. Quite a raggedy clump and the pictures aren't very good, sorry.
It looks like a beautiful white iris but I'm not sure that it's I. prismatica. Maybe a PCI?
Do you think it might set seed?  ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
Thanks Fermi, I was not sure, indeed until I took the label out to photograph it today I'd thought it was innominata. The clump averages around 30cm in height and the flower stems just a little bit more than that. The seed was from the SRGC exchange 08/09-1998. If it sets seed I'll send them to you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
Yes the foliage reminds me of innominata David, which is coming into flower here too, but any I've seen had more streaky falls :-\
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 12:44:43 AM »
Thanks John, maybe I'll try that. I thought it was just that my (previous) garden wasn't hot enough for the rhizomes to get a good summer ripening but with all due respect, it was probably warmer and drier than both Ian's and maybe Pauli's too. Perhaps not the latter. I've heard that cutting the foliage back of I. unguicularis encourages a good flowering but it has always seemed to me to be counter-productive in that the plant needs its foliage for nutrition. I could never bring myself to cut back the leaves of reticulatas or of Narcissus vars, as some people do, because they deem them untidy.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
I have to agree re the Iris prismatica above. It isn't, sorry, definitely a PCI but not straight innominata, maybe a hybrid with tenax/douglasiana blood. Is there a little pinkness at the base of the leaves David? A sure sign of douglasiana in the strain. Whatever, it looks nice. Prismatica is a lovely thing if you can get the right plant and does have a lovely creamy-white form as well. It is upright with fine (ish), slightly glaucous foliage and loves a wet place. Both forms are grown here though I've not had seed on mine.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal