We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013  (Read 20805 times)

vanozzi

Re: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »
Some nice iris there Fermi.

Here is one of my favourite Japanese iris, Rose Queen.I've put it's pollen onto Geisha Gown.

Regards
Paul R
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
I've been away for a while, (hospital) and have a lot to catch up with but while I have a stem of it, can anyone tell me offhand, what is the iris species which has black or nearly black flower stems? I don't have it myself but yesterday saw an enormous clump in a fellow Forumist's garden, maybe 2 metres across and it was very tall, perhaps a metre? There were many dozens of stems and the leaves were quite wide, 2-3cms and bent over at the tops. I was thinking versicolor or virginica but my iris books don't agree. The flower stem I brought home has two shrivelled blooms, it was very hot in my car, but two more will be out soon and I'll photograph and post them. It is a magnificent plant and of course I didn't have my camera with me.

In the meantime, here is one of several seedlings which came to me as 'Roy Elliott' but all have been what I've previously grown as x Chrysofor (chrysographes x forrestii). They vary with more or less purple and yellow, each seedling a little different so I don't think a cultivar name is justified.

The second picture is of a seedling at the NZIS Convention, raised by Michael Midgley, and winner of the Society's Begg Shield, for a NZ bred iris. It is setosa crossed with one of the wider leaved species in the Sibirica group. A tall and very vigorous plant with dozens and dozens of stems, another superb plant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Could it be Iris 'Gerald Darby'?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Could it be Iris 'Gerald Darby'?

Could be, Raplh, here's a pic of mine. Do you have a pic of the leaves?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
Could be, Raplh, here's a pic of mine. Do you have a pic of the leaves?
I'm afraid not, but there must be pictures online.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Roma

« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
I managed to find this picture of the foliage and flower buds of Iris 'Gerald Darby' which I posted in June 2010. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »
Thankyou all, Ralph, Wim and Roma. I'm sure you're right and the one I'm now lusting after is 'Gerald Darby.' Judging from the flower pictures there almost seem to be two slightly different clones, one with narrower, less "full" flowers (Ralph's), and a fuller form (Wim's).The one I saw and have a picture of (now that it has come out on the kitchen window sill) is the narrower form while the fuller is pictured in the Kohlein Iris book. Either way, it's a stunning plant in a big clump.

Perhaps you can also name for me the ensata form below. I bought it in a garden centre while filling in time between salestable shifts a month ago. It is truly rich and sumptuous. There is one called 'Midnight Sun' I think but there are more then one with the deep blue ground colour and small gold arrows. I went back yesterday to see if they had more and different and they did, but all finished and their stems trimmed off except for one pure white which I bought. It is different from the white I have which has upright standards while this one will be flat when it comes out. I used to hate them, Now, I love them! (Not sure of that name. Maybe 'Star at Midnight?' or something like that. A bit confused at present.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:40:27 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

vanozzi

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »
Lesley,it may be ''Emperor''. Mine were knocked about yesterday with the 40c heat when this was taken.
Also a Gerald Darby, love the dark stem.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2013, 03:17:34 AM »
what is the iris species which has black or nearly black flower stems?  leaves were quite wide, 2-3cms ...... I was thinking versicolor or virginica but my iris books don't agree.

Lesley,

Your books ought to agree with your intuition.
Iris x robusta - hybrids of two native American irises (Iris versicolor x Iris virginica).

Gerald Darby is one, but they don't have to have a name - could be unnamed seedlings of the cross.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2013, 08:51:56 AM »
I. x robusta 'Gerald Darby' is the only Iris over here which is sold for having this very dark blue base on the leaves: http://jardinsmichelcorbeil.com/images/iris%20gerald%20darby.jpg
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
Paul. your 'Emperor' looks about right. The standards and falls are single and flat when fully open but the style arms seem to be doubled or even trebled. I broke one when trying to sort them out. There are two flowers out now and I keep going back to have another look, that rich, deep blue is so glorious.

Wim, I don't recall the deep colour on the leaf bases. I'll have to ask Susan if I can have another look and take a picture of the whole magnificent clump. I may see her at the market tomorrow where CHERRIES will be top of my shopping list. Yum. ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:07:08 AM by Lesley Cox »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal