We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: digression from chipping to Flocon de neige  (Read 6722 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: digression from chipping to Flocon de neige
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »
'Hill Poe'
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »
Well now, Mark's photographs say it all. Really, does G. 'Flocon de Niege' compare with G. 'Hill Poe'? Not at all. G. 'Hill Poe' has a far neater arrangement of inner segments and is a far more dainty and pretty flower and has the benefit of a proven track record.

Don't get me wrong. G. 'Flocon de Niege' is a pretty plant and an interesting addition to the variety of snowdrops and I would certainly give it garden space but I will certainly not be paying £50 for a bulb.

Could I ask those of you who have seen it growing in a garden how it looks in a clump? I think an important consideration when assessing a snowdrop is how it looks in a drift rather than simply as a single flower. Or is this simply my painful knees and hips making me appreciate those snowdrops which look well without the need to kneel to view them at their best?

Creakingly, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »
Mark

How would you separate 'Tutu' from 'Hill Poe' from 'Flocon de Neige' from ordinary nivalis 'flore pleno' ?  :-\
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »
how it looks in a clump? I think an important consideration when assessing a snowdrop is how it looks in a drift rather than simply as a single flower.

A good point, Paddy! Some of the Snowdrops Ian Christie is bulking up from  Scottish 'drops, such as G. 'Lady Dalhousie' are not only very attractive when examined closely, but are also very sturdy, upstanding plants in a group, looking exceptionally good in a clump..........a point to consider when making a garden choice, indeed!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Maggi,

There is a garden in Northern Ireland, Mark will know it well, that of June Docherty where she has huuuuuge drifts of G. nivalis obviously planted originally many, many years ago. It is a most wonderful sight and apparently there is no variation among them. Bob Gordon told me that he went through them with June in hopes of finding something different, feeling sure that after all the years they were growing that some variation had arisen, but they were disappointed. It is simply one enormous drift and it looks fantastic. AND - there is no need to get down on hands and knees to appreciate them. Oh, yes, there are blue crocus planted among them and this was an inspired choice as the blue sets off the white of the snowdrops and vice versa.

I have been very fortunate, through the kindness of a forum member, to receive some of Ian Christie's snowdrops earlier in the year and I am looking forward to seeing them in flower later on this snowdrop season. They are reputedly good-growing bulbs and hopefully will prove to be so. Ian has selected a number of good snowdrops I believe and it will be good to see them when he has bulked them up further.

Paddy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:18:38 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »
Paddy, I'm not having a go at Irish snowdrops, but 'Hill Poe' hardly ever looks in my garden like it does in Mark's photo. Maybe it misses its homeland. I've seen it looking better in other gardens so maybe mine is too dry for it or something. It certainly seems to need a long time to settle down and here only seems to flower like Mark's pic when it's gone deep into the soil and made a really big bulb. Smaller less established bulbs seem to want to only produce small and irregular flowers with often small, short, thin outers, unlike the large  and regular outers that Mark shows. It's also very slow to clump up here and I can;'t say I've ever seen a big clump over here (but I don't get out that much  ;D ). I think it may need plenty of moisture and feeding, much more than it gets here, but of course more like your conditions. I also find 'Straffan' difficult to keep (though my mother a few miles away does all right with it, though on a heavier clay soil)- again, I suspect 'Straffan' does best in Irish-like conditions.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
How would you separate 'Tutu' from 'Hill Poe' from 'Flocon de Neige' from ordinary nivalis 'flore pleno' ?  :-\

nivalis 'Flore Pleno' is mostly irregular with extra outers within the inners. 'Tutu' if I remember right is also a nivalis but it's very neat and dainty  packed tight with inners. 'Hill Poe' is quite a chunky snowdrop with the most jaw dropping set of inner petals. nivalis 'Flocon' has 6 outers.

I suppose it's like identifying birds by song - many are alike - or identifying gulls.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
I have also gone through June's drifts of snowdrops looking for the unusual. I did tell her recently to buy bulk elwesii, plicatus and woronowii to try and get some hybrids.

Bob's and Margaret's 'Hill Poe' always look good.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
You hit the nail on the head when you said 6 outers. I like the regularity. I suppose this makes it the only true double snowdrop?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
You hit the nail on the head when you said 6 outers. I like the regularity. I suppose this makes it the only true double snowdrop?

Gal. elwesii 'Godfrey Owen' has the same floral arrangement.

snowdropman

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
but it tends to throw the odd aberrant inner petal?
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »
but it tends to throw the odd aberrant inner petal?

Hi Chris. Is that your experience of it? I've only had a couple of flowers here so far and hadn't noticed that yet. Maybe when I increase it enough to have a good clump.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »
Yes Martin I have had the same aberrant inner petal.  Hopefully not this year ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

snowdropman

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »
Yes, Martin, it does seem to have this trait - it has done this 3 years in a row with me, which is a disappointment for what would otherwise be a very nice double.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »
All of which leads straight back to 'Flocon de Neige'. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal