We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron... every garden should have some  (Read 143737 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhododendron... every garden should have some
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
Things are a little slow here in Aberdeen on the rhododendron front but we are beginning to see some progress for the early-spring-flowering types. Here is R. albrechtii, grown from seed. This has been out for a week or more now:
8100-0

8102-1

Always fairly early into flower and often frosted because of that, is R. 'Cilpinense' which is a hybrid of R. ciliatum and moupinense.  This, the whole bush, just opening out its buds:

8104-2   and a closer look:

8106-3
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:22:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:25 PM »
Nice ones, Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »
Maggi
       Your pictures of R.albrechtii and cilpinense surprised me.Mine are no where near out yet.You're very brave to grow these two so far north.Mine invariably get spoiled by the frost.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 07:58:11 PM »
The R. albrechtii is in a fairly sheltered spot in the front garden, to the north of the house, so it doesn't get the early sun on frost covered flowers which idoes so much damage.
The Cilpinense gets ruined most years at some point in its flowering cycle, but every now and then we get the full glory of its apple-blossom coloured flowers without any such interruption. Even if we get a week, I think its worth it, when we getthe full time it is just super! I've shown it now, before the flowers are fully open, just in case! I'll show it later on in full flower, weather permitting :-\

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 08:04:32 PM »
Funny how different plants are out across the country. There is so much in the forum pages that we are behind with, strange to hear we have some things in advance.
Writing the last reply about positions for shelter reminded me that I have a Cilpinense in a pot where it will catch any early sun, I must move it. But not tonight, it is blowing a gale and pouring with rain now!
I do not have pure R. moupinense but I do grow R. ciliatum outside. It does not flower till much later, thank goodness.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 09:01:06 PM »
all very nice. The botanics in Dublin have a huge collection including tiny ones growing on bark

to post multiple images click on more attachments beside browse
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »
These pix were taken yesterday and, surprisingly, after the gales last night, these buds are still attached to the plant! This is Rhododendron thomsoni 'McBeath', a fine form collected by, you've guessed it (after all there is often a clue) Ron McBeath.
The stems of this plant have a cinnamon coloured and shaded bark, which peels attractively. It is almost like a Eucalypt in that sense.  The flowers are vulnerable, especially at their next stage of opening.... when the flowers are extending their pedicels are VERY brittle and if they catch the wind then, they are liable to end up on the ground or stuck in the hedge! If the wind doesn't get them at that time, then they are long lasting blood-red flowers, making a handsome foil for the mid-green foliage. With luck, I'll be able to show you the open flowers later!
8311-0

8313-1

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 07:15:49 PM »
Seems a beauty Maggi - keeping our fingers crossed for you !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
Here are a few species Rhododendrons now out in Benmore Gardens , Argyll.   If anyone is interested, I can probably supply pictures from most of the West Scotland rhoddie gardens as the season progresses.  We visit Benmore gardens about every 20 days, and are regular at Arduiane, Crarae, Brodick, Logan, Threave and Dawyck.  Possibly we will manage a trip to Gigha again
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:53:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 10:11:34 PM »
Yes please, keep posting those rhododendron species. Look forward to seeing them.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »
Two more pictures.  I don't understand the posting rules.  Is it total posting max. of 300kb, or max. of 300kb per individual picture and what does the figure :10 refer to
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 10:28:28 PM »
Lovely to see these Rhodos from the West, Tom.
As to your question about file sizes etc, see the page about posting difficulties in the ADMIN General Section, lots of good hints there. This is the page: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41.0

Here's a bit that is relevant to you: Q:”I had tried to attach 4 images which would have exceeded the 300Kb limit and that was my problem, obviously. Hard to upload  multiple images then?”

A: Not correct.
Each image can be 300K: 10 images max.  per post. That's 3 meg. Within these  limits, user  are asked to act responsibly as you can imagine it would be possible to use up  vast resources.

Some browsers may have upload limits, too, which can affect you ability to load large pix or multiples, I think. Persevere, you'll get there!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
Either Mrs Cameron is a very short lady, or that R. Hookeri is a good big tree! What a treat to have a nice day out in a beautiful garden. thanks for sharing.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Maggi.  Cindy is approx. your height.  This Rhododendron is the original introduction, or so I am led to believe.  It stands about 16 feet tall.
Last two pictures, I hope !!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »
Thank you, Tom.  Do you have a close-up of the fowers of R montroseanum.  I have it but it has only flowered once.  I think it is in too much shade, but it is now too big to move. The ones you photographed  appear to be out in full sun. Is this correct? 

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal