We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: International Custom Charges Question  (Read 2657 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: International Custom Charges Question
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
I apologize for using the forum in this way---Thank you!

Kristl, far from requiring an apology, this is proving a most instructive topic, which I am sure is interesting to many.
I must say that I had not myself thought of seeds as being liable to incur duty charges......though we are accustomed to paying those, and VAT for items such as woodcarvings which Ian is wont to purchase from around the world. ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »
I recently ordered some seed from the USA (Sheffield Seeds) and had to pay VAT (not a problem) plus a £35 handling charge (more than the cost of the seed !!)

I've had this problem, too, with the PO handling charge being more than the VAT. In the past I found the PO charged an amount equal to the VAT.  I had two boxes sent to me, small and light equal in size and weight, from the same source in the US. The only difference was the VAT on one was £4 and £8 on the other. So . . the PO handling charge was £4 on one and £8 on the other!!  Surely the paperwork must be identical.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »
I find it ironic that while an "ordinary" business is legally obliged to collect the VAT due to the governemt and is not allowed to charge for this, or be paid by the Customs and Excise for so doing, that the Post Office is allowed to make these high charges. DAFT!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Kristl, there are no charges of any kind (except yours :)) for seed coming into New Zealand, so far as small, garden or nursery amounts are concerned. Nor is a phyto required. All that is necessary is that the seeds be permitted species (up to the person ordering to ensure that) and that the seeds be declared as such, on the outside of the package. It should say "Seeds for sowing." Not necessary to list them on the outside. MAF may or may not inspect the package on arrival.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Kristl,

For here in Australia I think there are limits on grams per seed packet (i.e per species) that mean for bringing in commercial quantities there are probably charges involved.  Certainly for home quantities there are no import charges, as long as the seed is clearly labelled with both genus and species, and that those are permitted on our permitted list.

As to your German experiences, it would appear that German quarantine has just been tightened.  I recently sent bulbs to Germany and had them turned back at the border as no plant or plant material is allowed into Germany without a Phytosanitary certificate.  This appears to be something new.  According to the letter it would appear that seed would be included in this category, so seed into Germany (and possibly other parts of the EU) may now become a problem for seed exchanges from outside of the EU.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:54:58 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 01:49:20 AM »
All this development of such tight controls on small seed lots is a real worry for the various Seed Exchanges.... it seems that these draconian regulations are being implemented in many countries....very bad news indeed for folks like ourselves who are so committed to our seed exchanges and for the clubs who rely on them as a service to members and a draw for members.  :'(

In Europe, where there is no sea barrier, I wonder what the authorities hope to gain by these measures? It cannot be bio protection, surely... for that is a horse which bolted from the stable long ago! Perhaps seeking a financial inroad from the  certification and duty fees etc?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal