We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: delosperma & aizoaceae  (Read 148538 times)

Tiny Light

• IG-Mesembs FgaS
Re: delosperma & aizoaceae
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
Dear Mesembophiles

Delosperma cv. ‘Red Mountain’, in my lumping bad eyes rather D. dyeri var. laxum (but you all should decide this individually) is under continental culture still a bit shy in flowering.  But a cutting from last year (late autumn) finally flowered curiously last week outside in front of one of my Landlord’s southern windows, while the rather fairly good developed mothership-plant wants to show until today not even a single lonesome flower. Think tiny light reasonable flower induction in this splendid taxon is running during the time the cuttings were taken. Looking under somewhat shady conditions for the best, i.e. sunniest place in the garden is therefore probably well done in autumn (for replanting the following year) and a 6-8 mm thin layer of 2-4(-6) mm quarzitc white grit around plants, getting translucent if wet and reflecting sunlight if dry can support a healthy light condition and as well prevent fallen out seeds from being washed away by water. Under my Climatic Culturing Conditions D. cv. Beaufort West, in my lumping eyes a D. luckhoffii cultivar, becomes planted in the garden an extinct specimen frequently after some years, but all those from Lesotho are growing rather well.
The continental flower of D. dyeri var. laxum has got a life expectancy of c. 7 days, thus here comes a complete cyclus. All photos taken last 1-2 weeks, except otherwise given. For full resolution 2 click-steps on the corresponding photo are necessary. 

The bud

First rubescence

Related dimensions to Delosperma (cv.) hirtum ex Joël Lodé and Trichodiadema strumosum. Looks like the latter has got real tasty petals and is far better known under T. fergusoniae.

First visit of female Halictus or Lasioglossum sp. (Halictidae) digging predominant for pollen and perhaps having a short drink afterwards, probably H. quadricinctus or L. fulvicorne, difficult to say without catching this hard-working Lady
(what real Gentlemen never would do, rather having a drink too... ;D).

The juvenile Gourmand of T. strumosum petals trying to run, but could not hide...(Ensifera sp.)

Reaching finally Drinking-age

Life, the Universe and Everything

The Mothership

Holotyus drawing of Delosperma dyeri L.Bolus var. laxum L.Bolus from Miss Beatrice Orchard Carter [1889-1939], topical attached on a herbarsheet of the Bolus Herbarium under BOL131688.
http://ts-den.aluka.org/fsi/img/size3/alukaplant/bol/phase_01/bol0008/bol131688.jpg

First description of D. dyeri L.Bolus var. laxum L.Bolus in Notes on Mesembrianthemum and allied genera 1928: 25.
Quote:
Glabrum, humile, ut videtur cum floribus ad 5.5 cm. altum, laxe ramosum; rami floriferi elongati, decumbentes, sat dense foliati; folia adscendentia semiteretia acuta, supra canaliculata saturate viridia, papillata modo D. Cooperi sed papillis minutis, ad 2.5 cm. longa, ad 6 mm. lata; flores diurni, ad 4 cm. diam.; receptaculum breviter turbinatum; sepala 5 inaequilonga, 6—9 mm. longa; petala 2-seriata, interioribus paucis, subspathulata, ad 2.5 mm lata, ad 1.8 cm longa, obtusa, minute 1—3-denticulata, infra purpureo-coccinea, supra rubro-cuprea, infra medium lutea, basin versus alba itaque oculum formantia; staminodia recurvata, 6 mm longa; filamenta inferne papillata, ad 5 mm longa, antheris luteis; glandulae conspicuae distantes atrovirides; ovarium supra, medium versus, 5-lobatum, lobis distantibus obtusis; stigmata 5, subulata setaceo-acuminata, 3 mm. longa.
Cape Province: prope Tarkastadt, Mrs. Pringle Scott (N.B.G. 1456/28). Fl. Kirstenbosch, Nov. 1928. Fortasse in genere speciosissimum.

Topical, in my very own virtual and strictly mesembophile universe, I understand D. dyeri as a natural X-way hybrid (at least 4-way) and being a member (?borderliner?) of Delosperma § Eximia (but you all should decide this individually).  If looking at what is shown by Mrs. Burgoyne under D. dyeri var. laxum from Tarkastad I can see unfortunately only a member of the mat-forming cluster of, what I call, the crassuloid tribes in this beautiful genus. The androecium in relation to the size of the shown flower does not allow me to see here something else than a rather tiny light sized, but very splendid flower, that probably will not even be able to reach a size bigger than 2 cm diameter, under excellent conditions perhaps somewhat more.
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/plimagescd/delospermdyerlax.jpg
But I can see also in this pretty nice thread, that this splendid natural hybrid is in my own universe rather sure one of the parents of the here shown marvelous colored D. dyeri that kindly was shown some pages before (pls. see next mistreated quote). One strain of the natural D. dyeri hybrid comes in my virtual universe therefore from this real splendid crassuloid hybrid from Tarkastad.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3795.0;attach=227411;image
The suggested other romantical partner for Panayotis marvellous D. dyeri hybrid (above) could be seen in D. dyeri var. laxum or the next quote below, but i have to state never having had the pleasure to cultivate a D. dyeri specimen from this splendid strain in my own tiny collection.
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/plimagescd/delospermdyer.jpg

Ma chère Zéphyrine (sorry Folks, i am also hopeless francophile), i hope this tiny light information will help you a bit to understand a part of the boundaries of this splendid Taxon.
I really like hybrids very much, but not forcing them to create, this is by far much better done from my numerous flying splendid alpiniced Ladies, most of them members of the Halictidae or Apinae (Bumblebees).
This way also the following cultivar, Delosperma cv. 'Badenia Red' was once spontaneously growing up in the collection of Mr. Klaus Dinger (FgaS) in the pot of a certain Mothership plant.

Anastasis, after kindly having survived dry and protected last winter temperatures down to c. -10°C

Habitus, think late summer 2010

Probably involved this Delosperma sp. (2008) from the crassuloid tribes, even dry not more than -3°C

Spontaneoulsy grown up last year in my collection, in my virtual universe a hybrid between D. rogersii (long hairy) and D. parviflorum (glabrous glaucesent), flower diameter between both, dry short peaks down to  -3°/-5°C were already survived, perhaps somewhat higher potential

D. parviflorum, kindly once received from a friend under D. rogersii, tiny light flower, dry short peaks down to -5°/-7°C were already survived, perhaps somewhat higher potential

D. rogersii, soft long hairy "Beachboy", thus better no real frost, dry short peaks down to -3°/-5° were already survived, perhaps somewhat higher potential

The Hedgehog - D. echinatum and an swirring illustred Knight? of Eupeodes corollae on a short fuel-stop, dry short peaks down to -5°/-7°C, critical if wet.

D. robustum (2008) and probably the adult progenitor of the juvenile Gourmand above, dry down to -7°C, perhaps higher potential

D. leendertziae with alpiniced Halictidae Lady, splendid nice plant, but unfortunately not all hardy under my CCCs.

Ian, you should try a cross pollination of your both D. dyyeri ex Mesa Garden and pls. show us one day your results. Btw. from my c. 10 germinating specimen were in the end 8 not able to to survive dry and protected on the balcony down to -10°C, only 2 have survived until today und only a single one has shown ever a lonesome flower. In autumn the sun is standing so low, that the plants in front of my window can not get enough direct sunlight, due to garden trees. But i can give you a tiny light resonable presight, what perhaps once could get out of your romantical experiments.

Alpiniced Halictidae Lady diving real deep for an extensive drink. Skål

Final view on a splendid diving romance, under my CCCs pretty nice hardy

Royal flying alpiniced Ladies – the Bumblebees

D. abyssinicum and Bombus pascuorum, syn. Megabombus pascuorum, dry down to -7°C

D. aff. aberdeense Silverhill 2007 is totally different from what they distributed the years before. Visited by Bombus lapidarius, syn. Pyrobombus lapidarius, excellent hardy under this CCCs

D. aff. aberdeense Silverhill 2007 planted somewhat shady in the garden of my Landlord (2009),

Delosperma ID still at work, i.e. think i found it but need more working on evidence, it is one of the most difficult species for identifying within genus, an old Haworth taxon and no herbar material seems to exists, dry down to -7°C
Any splendid idea, Josef?

Same plant with Episyrphus balteatus

This photo (2009) is showing also a female Varroa destructor pestering this Pyrobombastic alpiniced Lady (lateral neck) and as well probably Lady's adapted strategy against this little ugly monster - peeling herself with fine quarzitic sand.

The King and Gentleman of my Heart – Xylocopa violacea

The King of my heart was once (2009) visiting me daily for some weeks, hence I could not forget the real altruistic Gentlemen-like behavior of this real huge male Royal Hymenoptera, spending hundreds of tiny light male Varroa destructor a very relaxed hitch-hiking trip into a new future world. Until this time it was completely unknown for me, that the tiny light male Varroa destructor is a real flying alpines too. Tiny male Varroa destructor are rather Gentlemen, since they only like to travel alpinized, without any damage to the King of Gentlemen. All photos 2009

The King's visit at a hybrid between D. aberdeenense and D. crassuloides, down to -10°C

The King's visit at Trichodiadema imitans, down to -7°C

The King's visit at D. incomptum (crassuloid tribes), down to at least -12°C

Xylocopa violacea Manuskript PDF (2009), sorry in German, but contains also The King's visit at D. brunnthaleri ex Eret ex Matk, D. congestum, D. sawdahense and as well many Links and historical drawings.
http://disk.alice.de/FZfRsCZ/Alpiniced/?a=6LaOsjmuLPk

An unwanted FgaS-Gallery erratum is unfortunately still found here, we apologize for this inconvenience (Josef is quite right in seeing here two different species):
http://www.fgas-sukkulenten.de/index.php?view=detail&id=824&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=85&lang=de

It is Delosperma lavisiae, found and photographed somewhere on Sani Pass, Lesotho side, in December 2008 by Anja & Harald Jainta.

Best wishes
Chris Schröder & Avonia Team of the FgaS (Fachgesellschaft andere Sukkulenten eV)
în continental Europe, c. 360 ft. altitude, annual precipitation c. 610 mm.

-Altruism is quite sure the most endangered species on this planet!

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
What a great post. Thanks for this Chris.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Peter II

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
A new Delosperma  ;)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:48:35 PM by Peter II »
Peter

fgas-sukkulenten.de

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
A very warm welcome to you, Chris and Peter, great to have your expert input. Thank you!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
Chris Schröder that is what i call a first post.Incredible.A warm hello to Peter as well.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

iann

« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Ian, you should try a cross pollination of your both D. dyyeri ex Mesa Garden and pls. show us one day your results. Btw. from my c. 10 germinating specimen were in the end 8 not able to to survive dry and protected on the balcony down to -10°C, only 2 have survived until today und only a single one has shown ever a lonesome flower.
Hi Chris :)  Mine have survived just fine, dry and a little colder than -10C.  I know, unbelievably cold for here!  One in the garden didn't survive.

I have had masses of flowers, and it looks like plenty of capsules forming.  My experience is that the seed won't germinate until next spring, but fingers crossed I'll squeeze out some flowers next summer.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

iann

« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Chris,

I'm not sure whether you've seen these hybrids, originally from Gordon Rowley.  There are three different clones, all crosses between D. kofleri and D. nubigenum.  The photos are closeups of small plants, but they are very hardy, very floriforous, and now filling large pots.  One is shown next to D. nubigenum.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:01:02 PM by iann »
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
Living in Aberdeen I am intrigued by the plants bearing the names of this city ( and of Scotland) - I found this reference ......
Aizoaceae Delosperma aberdeenense L.Bolus
Notes Mesembryanthemum [H.M.L. Bolus] 1: 135. 1928 [1 July 1928]
1: 135 1928
Notes: Mesembryanthemum aberdeenense   .... but I wonder if anyone can explain the history of the naming? I realise it may be after a person called Aberdeen, of course.

Great Moravian

« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
Chris,
Really interesting input. I waited for it a considerable timespan. Regarding laxum, the plantzafrica image
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/plimagescd/delospermdyer.jpg
might represent it, but 'Red Mountain' is different. The white eye is reminescent of laxum,
but the yellow central zone is missing. The problem can be solved solely trough studying the variability
of natural populations in Africa.
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

Great Moravian

« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
Living in Aberdeen I am intrigued by the plants bearing the names of this city ( and of Scotland) - I found this reference ......
Notes: Mesembryanthemum aberdeenense   .... but I wonder if anyone can explain the history of the naming? I realise it may be after a person called Aberdeen, of course.
Maggi,
There exists a place called Aberdeen Road in Eastern Cape
http://travelingluck.com/Africa/South+Africa/Eastern+Cape/_1023789_Aberdeen+Road.html
Josef N.
---
Goethe

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
Maggi,
There exists a place called Aberdeen Road in Eastern Cape
http://travelingluck.com/Africa/South+Africa/Eastern+Cape/_1023789_Aberdeen+Road.html
Ah, thank you, Josef.... we Scots get everywhere, it seems.

Great Moravian

« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
Experimenters in warmer countries should study the variability of selfed 'Red Mountain'.
Josef N.
---
Goethe

Great Moravian

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
ashtonii, deleeuwiae, 'Menoaneng Pass'

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE IT
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:38:10 PM by Great Moravian »
Josef N.
---
Goethe

Peter II

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
Lieber Josef,

die beiden gezeigten Pflanzen sind D. ashtonii. Vielleicht sogar nur Hybriden. Dazu müsste man aber die Samenkapseln sehen.

D. ashtonii
http://ts-den.aluka.org/fsi/img/size3/alukaplant/bol/phase_01/bol0003/bol131633.jpg

D. deleeuwiae
http://ts-den.aluka.org/fsi/img/size3/alukaplant/bol/phase_01/bol0009/bol131639.jpg

Entschuldigt bitte, dass ich Deutsch schreibe. Aber ich kann kein Englisch. Aber mit etwas guten Willen verstehe ich, was hier geschrieben wird.

Peter

fgas-sukkulenten.de

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »
Peter wrote:
Dear Joseph,

The two plants are shown D. ashtonii. Maybe even just hybrids. But one would have to see the seed pods.

Please excuse me, for writing in German. I can not speak English  but with a little good will, I understand what is written here.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:38:29 AM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal