We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trichoderma (& treatment of Botrytis galanthina)  (Read 41984 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Trichoderma (& treatment of Botrytis galanthina)
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
Hi Gerry, yes I used it on all my bulbs as I potted them. I usually have a low-level infection in some narcissi. This year there was none.
Thanks Anne - I'll try it.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
In the UK you can now get Trichoderma harzianum as:

Canna AktTRIvator http://www.canna-uk.com/aktrivator
Dragonfli Growboost http://www.dragonfli.co.uk/product/ps-02 (T-22 strain)
The Nutrient Company TNC-Trichoderma http://www.thenutrientcompany.com/hydroponic/trichoderma_product/

The latter two suppliers seem to have arrived since I last looked about two years ago.

There is also a bulk (horticultural trade) product called Trianum http://www.trianum.com/en/home.html (thanks to Anne for this)

There is detailed information on Trichoderma harzianum in this database http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/bpdb/index2.htm

Edit:  Modified to correct the spelling of harzianum - thanks to John Aipassa for pointing out my error.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:20:20 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

John Aipassa

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
In The Netherlands we also say chipping. I think in Germany they do too. As far as I know there is not a real dutch word for it.

Lina.

I stumbled upon this older post about how chipping is called in Dutch. Since we use English words all the time in our Dutch language sometimes the English word is considered to be the Dutch word too, but in this case "chipping" is not the true Dutch word for chipping. The Dutch word is "parteren".
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »
I shared some of Anne's trichoderma last year and have added it to lots of snowdrops.  The most significant 'result' is that one quite sickly 'drop which was due for the bin this year if it didn't improve, looks really quite good.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

John Aipassa

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
In the UK you can now get Trichoderma Hazarium as:
......<snip>....

The species is actually Trichoderma harzianum instead of Hazarium and it is the T-22 strain that has been researched the most. The brand Trianum has the T-22 strain.

John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
As the temperatures rise again, I'll be watering on a solution of trichoderma so that it can recolonise the plants and compost. I've got very good control of stagonospora this season.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Last Autumn - thanks to AnneW - I treated all my potted Narcissus with Trichoderma. Last year N. asturiensis & N. cyclamineus showed low levels of Stag infection. This year they seem to be completely clear. On the other hand, N. rupicola - which I find a difficult species & which was badly infected last year - still seems infected, though not quite as badly.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »
Does anyone know a supplier of Trichodowels in the UK? Or can they be imported from NZ?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
To answer my own question, FAST, Farm Advisory Services Team Ltd at Brogdale Farm, Faversham, Kent have them: http://www.fastltd.co.uk/
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Just a little update to day that Dragonfli have re-jigged their Trichoderma product from something that was intended to be watered-on to something that is intended to be mixed with soil or compost.  The new product is called 'Plant Boost' and is supposed to have a longer shelf life.  It still contains Trichoderma harzianum T-22. 
Almost in Scotland.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
I am amazed how quickly botrytis can take hold, I checked my plants in the green house on Sunday, all ok. When I checked the plants again on my day off from work a number of my pelargoniums had it on there leaves, I've been checking all the plants in there hopefully I've got it sorted.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Yes, it can develop and spread faster than runny jam on toast!  We are constantly checking our glass house plants - which are , as you might guess, mostly bulbs -  to remove any flowers going over. A crocus flower can be covered in botrytis before it even hits the ground.

Vigilance on such matters is important - and it does pay dividends for protecting your precious plants.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnstephen29

« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
I'll have to check the again tomorrow

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »
Last Autumn - thanks to AnneW - I treated all my potted Narcissus with Trichoderma. Last year N. asturiensis & N. cyclamineus showed low levels of Stag infection. This year they seem to be completely clear. On the other hand, N. rupicola - which I find a difficult species & which was badly infected last year - still seems infected, though not quite as badly.

That's interesting Gerry, that you have difficulty with N rupicola I mean. For me, it is among the easiest, growing well yearly, seeding freely and flowering from seed in 2-3 years. It's one of my most popular plants for sale, 3 or 4 in a little pot, in flower in mid spring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnstephen29

« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
Still having problems with botrytis, it's only on a few stock pelargoniums at the moment thank goodness, just wondering if it might be better to get rid of these and play it safe.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal