We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus to identify? Post them here....  (Read 230215 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus to identify? Post them here....
« Reply #960 on: December 08, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »
Thanks Janis

Do you mean horrible as in poor combination/companions?

I hate mixes... This case all seem to be easy and could grow in similar conditions.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #961 on: December 09, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
Hi folks
Found these being sold off for a few pence in the local supermarket, just wondering if anyone can help with an id. They're labelled as a 'chrysanthus mixed'.
Apologies for the pics - they're what are on the box but may not even be indicative of what's inside. Have included a pic of the corms - hope it's clear enough.
Thanks!

Hello Shaun,

your label of the commercial mix (of most likely dutch origin) usually contain:
white one - C. chrysanthus hybrid 'Ard Schenk'
yellow one: - C. chrysanthus hybrid 'Goldilocks'
pale yellow one the left background C. chrysanthus hybrid 'Romance'
blue one with yellow white: C. sieberi ssp. sublimis 'Tricolor'

A very good compilation of chrysanthus cultivars can be found on the forum. Check and compare them again when they are in flower.
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5060.0
Best wishes
Armin

shaun342

« Reply #962 on: December 11, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
Thank you Armin!

I'll certainly share what comes up. I can't resist buying them when I see them at such giveaway prices!

I really appreciate the input from you all in this brilliant little community - I'm learning a great deal already from the resources on here.

Thanks again!
Shaun

Cfred72

« Reply #963 on: January 14, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
Hello everyone. The past year in January - February, in the glasshouse. I proudly presented the Crocus corsicus that I bought at "Nijssen Bulbs". It was in bloom.
The informed members of the forum told me that it was not Crocus corsicus but. They said it was something else.
To recap, here are the photos of what I thought was Crocus corsicus.

559625-0

559627-1

559629-2

559631-3
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Cfred72

« Reply #964 on: January 14, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
This year I bought a new crocus corsicus. It is planted next to the one that is not corsicus. I photographed the two plants side by side. There is a marked difference in vegetation growth. On the left, the one that is not corsicus. On the right, the new corme of this year. Both were planted at the same time.

559633-0
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #965 on: January 14, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
Hello everyone. The past year in January - February, in the glasshouse. I proudly presented the Crocus corsicus that I bought at "Nijssen Bulbs". It was in bloom.
The informed members of the forum told me that it was not Crocus corsicus but. They said it was something else.
To recap, here are the photos of what I thought was Crocus corsicus.

Seem to be biflorus or rhodensis (?) - depends from anther colour (connective - in rhodensis greyish toned at least partly), size of flower (rhodensis smaller) and length of leaves at anthesis (in rhodensis twice as long as in biflorus). Of course - as biflorus here is regarded type biflorus from Italy. Corsicus blooms later, too.

But they could be virus infected - see flower segments on the second and on the last picture - they didn't look smooth as it could be in healthy plant. Although the same can be seen on other pictures, too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:50:17 AM by Janis Ruksans »

shaun342

« Reply #966 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
Hi folks

Any help with id much appreciated. Let me know if any further info is required  :)

Thanks!

Shaun

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #967 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
Hi folks

Any help with id much appreciated. Let me know if any further info is required  :)

Thanks!

Shaun
Too many options possible. Must see corm tunics.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #968 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Hi folks

Thanks!

Shaun
At first sight Crocus flavus but as Janis says corm tunics will help.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #969 on: February 22, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
A few Crocus pots from a friend's garden and sadly with no labels.  I suspected they were tommies as I recall them in the area where they were dug.  To be sure I wrote to a friend in BC, he said "in my opinion these would be vernus x tommasinianus. The suspicion is aroused because the leaves are a little broad for tom, the outer surface of the outer tepals is coloured, not the white to pale pale grey-purple of what I take to be ‘pure’ tom. I take the description from the Brian Mathew book as the authoritative guide."

Looking at many tommie photos I see many selections lacking white outers.

Any opinions?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tiggrx

« Reply #970 on: February 22, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
I planted some corms labelled Crocus chrysanthus 'Herald' last autumn and the resulting plants are a mixture of two sorts. From descriptions I am assuming the paler yellow plant (on the right in the first picture) is 'Herald' but I'm not sure what the other plant is. The flowers are bright golden-yellow with the outside of the outer petals mostly dark reddish-brown. The style is orange and the anthers have black basal barbs. Closest I can find seems to be 'Elegance'. Can anyone confirm or otherwise please?

sokol

« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
I discovered a Crocus today in a pot of seedlings of Galanthus krasnovii. Does anybody has an idea what it is?
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Denise Bridges

« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
Hiya,  I bought this crocus recently, labelled C. alatavicus, but when I looked for more information on it, in Janis's book, I realised it wasn't that species at all.....but what is it? Can anyone help please? (My apologies for the quality of the photographs).
West Midlands, England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
I discovered a Crocus today in a pot of seedlings of Galanthus krasnovii. Does anybody has an idea what it is?
Crocus baytopiorum ..... wish they would 'pop up' in pots here :-)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Hiya,  I bought this crocus recently, labelled C. alatavicus, but when I looked for more information on it, in Janis's book, I realised it wasn't that species at all.....but what is it? Can anyone help please? (My apologies for the quality of the photographs).
Nice biflorus type .... so may names in that area now.  Looks very like one I have which is labelled isauricus but I cannot be confident.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal