We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nomenclature Question  (Read 1154 times)

Rick Goodenough

Nomenclature Question
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:41 AM »
I am no nomenclature wonk, but have been puzzled by the occasional use of Latinized terms as cultivar epithets for galanthus. My understanding that the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP), which may or may not have a say in the galanthus world no longer recognizes such naming conventions at the cultivar level.

A couple of examples come to mind, G. Galanthus nivalis 'Virescens' and galanthus nivalis 'Poculiformis'. 

Just curious if anyone has information on this topic as I found it to be of interest, but of no great concern. Thank you. Rick
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:28:50 AM by Rick Goodenough »
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Nomenclature Question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:57:58 AM »
These are old old snowdrops.  They could not be so-named today but the ICNCP does not force names that pre-date a a particular rule to be revised.  I think anyone, galanthophile or not, ignores the ICNCP rules at their peril.  You can read the 8th Edition of the Code online here http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf ; I don't know if this edition is the latest one.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:31:42 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
Alan, thank you very much for your comment and for the link. I am still reading through, and find it an excellent if exhaustive treatment of nomenclature standardization which has already been bookmarked on my desktop. A must read for serious collectors, hybridizers, etc...very helpful. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
I wonder how 'Nova Scotia' would fly with the powers that be as a cultivar name. Have no intention of testing the waters, if you get a refusal the name is likely to be put to rest.

Good reason for the ban as for the example the old ironclad rhododendrons are highly confusing - the old hybrid 'Catawbiense Album' which novices think is the white form of R. catawbiense = i.e R. catawbiense v. album, no so.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:45:43 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
According to 21.12, Nova Scotia, being a place name in modern usage, would not present a problem as a cultivar name, John.
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »
Good to know Alan. I've restricted myself to 'Scotian" this and that.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal