We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hepatica / Re: Hepatica 2024
« Last post by Gabriela on Today at 07:11:27 PM »
Hi Kris, I suppose you cannot wait to be reunited with your summer garden.
Yes, I had it as H. americana - deep purple, then I name it because it is very distinct. I will try to take out a small division for you.

The color is a bit too intense, it was at the start of flowering and I took it with my cell phone. As the flower age, it fades a bit, like with all other H. americana colors. This taken two days ago with the camera.

What I'm saying about color, can be easily noticed with H. nobilis 'Walter' -deeper pink at the beginning, then fading a bit.
The multipetals are doing well, just that the chipmunks got into cutting the flowers right after opening so I had to put them under a mesh.

« Last post by Gabriela on Today at 07:02:28 PM »
Beautiful Hepaticas, Gabriela. Here they are just only starting to flower.

Very nice to have the Hepatica season starting Leena! Do not touch the large H. japonica (except to take pictures :), it looks perfect where it is!
« Last post by Gabriela on Today at 06:59:51 PM »
Beautiful Hepatica’s Gabriela, especially the dark blue americana.
We were with a small group 3 days in Germany to see some botanical gardens.
We also visit the plant market in Kiekeberg. There were a lot of people and a lot of plants. Also many Hepaticas by name, but they have already finished flowering. My Hepatica collection has grown a bit.  :)

Thank you Herman. I am sure you had a wonderful time and how can one abstain from having more Hepaticas? :)

The 'dark blue americana' is actually purple, reason why I call it 'Purplelicious'. I know there was a discussion at some point about the Hepatica colors, and while blue is very common for H. americana - in various shades, purple is more rare.
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Gabriela on Today at 06:54:10 PM »
Robert - your garden is a riot of colors at this time! We can only hope for it later in the summer.

Mariette - the Hyacinthoides are lovely. I don't know why you would think my garden should be more advanced? Actually this year we have an early spring!
Primula sibthorpii is having a particularly good time this year; Corydalis malkensis to the left.

Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Gabriela on Today at 06:45:13 PM »
I have had 'Jacob' since 2011, and I don't think I have ever gotten seeds from it. Many times it starts to flower too early and flowers are damaged, but I'm glad not this year. Maybe because it hasn't had seeds, it is so long-lived here. With other H.niger, I have the same experience as Mariette, they are not easy to please, but they seed around so there is always some. Some H.niger I have are not as good-looking, with only a few flowers and also there are differences in leaves. Some have nicer leaves than others.
Kris, I'm sorry to hear yours don't do well. In Finland H.niger is considered to be hardier than H. x hybridus, but I think it also depends on the strain/type.

I should have better said ex. 'Jacob' Leena because I grew it from seeds. Like you mention, it wants to flower too early, the picture I show is from March 13!!! Usually we have snow standing till April, and even worse, the location remains shaded until late spring.
In the pictures I've seen from the wild, it flowers beautifully on sunny slopes. I have a sloped area where the sun shines and the snow melts faster in the spring (sometimes too fast) and that's where I will move it.

I should add that in the same location, Helleborus purpurascens, which is a deciduous species, does well, although in other parts of the garden it flowers as early as the snow melts, here it holds on. Only recently the foliage appeared.  It is very hard with our limited garden space to offer proper spots for some species and it takes careful observing of the way the conditions of snow cover/sun/shade, moisture are changing over the seasons.

Ashley, it was interesting to see your photo of the growth on the pine tree. I have seen a similar one but can,t find the photo. I must have deleted it.
Events / Cacti & Succulent Show - 25 May
« Last post by FrazerHenderson on Today at 01:18:12 PM »
British Cacti & Succulent Society (BCSS) Show at Leven Parish Church Hall, Leven, Fife on 25 May 2024.

The attached link provides an overview of last year's show (including some well-known SRGC exhibitors). The show had over 400 entries!!

Photographs of the 2023 show: https://fife.bcss.org.uk/2023-fife-annual-show/

Newsletter including detail of 2023 show:
https://fife.bcss.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Newsletter-Summer-2023.pdf

and for more on this year's 2024 show

https://fife.bcss.org.uk/events/

Cacti and Succulents / Cacti & succulent Show - Edinburgh 2024
« Last post by FrazerHenderson on Today at 12:52:56 PM »
The RCHS and British Cactus and Succulent Society are holding a competitive show, which is open to all, on 9 June at Saughton Park, Edinburgh. More details including the schedule of classes can be found at:

https://thecaley.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/cacti-show-schedule-2024.pdf
Events / Scottish Auricula & Primula Show 2024
« Last post by FrazerHenderson on Today at 12:46:51 PM »
Auricula & Primula Show

5th May @ 1205 hrs to 1545hrs

The annual Auricula & Primula Show organised by the RCHS will be held in the McHattie Room at Saughton Park, Edinburgh. 

The show is open to the public from 12.05pm – 3.45pm.

If you would like to enter the show, you can download a schedule from https://thecaley.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/auricula-show-2024-schedule.pdf

Entry is free.
Bulbs General / Re: Trillium 2024
« Last post by Herman Mylemans on April 17, 2024, 09:36:48 PM »
Trillium tennessense

Trillium oostingii
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal