We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranunculus asiaticus yellow form?  (Read 1576 times)

pontus

Ranunculus asiaticus yellow form?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
Another plant I have been trying to find since 2001, the fabulous yellow form of the single flowered ranunculus asiaticus. It seems that it is very rare in cultivation...

here is an image from the internet  :

http://www.west-crete.com/flowers/photos/ranunculus_asiaticus-2large.jpg

has anyone ever come across this beauty?

Pontus

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pontus

Re: Ranunculus asiaticus yellow form?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
thanks for the links Maggie,

yes, it really is a splendid plant, of course the red form is nice as well, but i have read that the red form is a bit tender..?

what superb show specimens in those links!

Pontus

Darren

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
I've only just spotted this thread.

I grow a large number of different collections of this species, covering most of its colour range including the yellow, and I find the yellow to be more difficult than the others (less vigorous). This might just be my stock (originally derived from Kath Dryden's plants).

I am down to only two adult tubers of the pure yellow and I have taken steps to cross - pollinate between the yellow plants in order to increase my stock but even the seedlings seem slower and more prone to damping off than the reds. If I succeed then I may eventually be able to supply plants.

I do have a rather nice pale lemon one which arose presumably from crossing with a white form, and various orange yellow ones as shown in Maggi's links, derived from crossing yellow with red. None of these are as pure a yellow as the wild type.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »
I have a range of colours and for the last two years up until this winter have grown them in an unheated greenhouse and they have not grown well and slowly faded away. This year I am growing them in my frost free area and they are looking better and recovering.

I have seen various colours in the wild,Crete and Cyprus, and the colours are not mixed but grow in groups of one colour so no intermediates.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal