We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aroids (the family Araceae)  (Read 88007 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Aroids (the family Araceae)
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
A little one open today.
Pinellia ternata
'

How strange, it's in flower here as well. ???

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
Why is that strange John?  ???
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Pascal B

« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
Pix of Arisaema taiwanense currently in flower, the second picture is to show the fungus-shaped appendix tip which is characteristic for this species. The third picture is of a tropical oddity from Laos. Everybody thinks of the big stinker Amorphophallus titanum when one hears that genus name, the plant on this picture Amorphophallus  ongsakuliiis the other extreme within the genus hardly measuring 15 cm high when fully grown. The flower in reality is only 3 cm and tops the finely divided, fern-like leaves.

PS. The weedy Pinellia ternata is in flower in my collection too, it is the normal flowering time for it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:59:49 PM by Maggi Young »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
Why is that strange John?  ???

Because you're in England and I'm in Nova Scotia where spring is much slower. You're supposed to be 4-6 weeks ahead of us.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

fredg

« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
You're supposed to be 4-6 weeks ahead of us.

I could claim it was a long hard, late winter but Pinellia are always late anyway.
Fred

Pascal B

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
2 other  species in flower here, Arisaema ovale is a close relative of Arisaema amurense. The A. intermedium on the picture has the long flagellate spathe appendix that gave rise to forma biflaggelatum. As it is just part of the variation it doesn't deserve a separate status but does make it more attractive

fredg

« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
The third picture is of a tropical oddity from Laos. Everybody thinks of the big stinker Amorphophallus titanum when one hears that genus name, the plant on this picture is the other extreme within the genus hardly measuring 15 cm high when fully grown. The flower in reality is only 3 cm and tops the finely divided, fern-like leaves.

But does it smell?
It's very noticable that scent / smell / guff / pong is rarely mentioned in nursery descriptions  ::)
Fred

Pascal B

« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
But does it smell?
It's very noticable that scent / smell / guff / pong is rarely mentioned in nursery descriptions  ::)

Not really. Usually Amorphophallus flower for 3-5 days but none of these days I noticed any smell. It is on my window sill in the living room so if it had some smell I would have noticed it. But to be honest, with an Amorphophallus I don't really mind if it doesn't smell, as far as I know only a handfull species from that genus smell pleasant, the rest smell like rotting meat or similar.
Today however I did notice a strong smell on one of my forms of Arisaema amurense (the one on the picture underneath) but I honestly can't describe it other than "pungent but not unpleasant and a bit spicy".... :-\

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2010, 04:30:24 AM »

Today however I did notice a strong smell on one of my forms of Arisaema amurense (the one on the picture underneath) but I honestly can't describe it other than "pungent but not unpleasant and a bit spicy".... :-\

I have forms of A. amurense with rather unpleasant aroma of "wet dog".
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Love the Amorphophallus ongsakuliiis, Pascal. I grow A. obscurus, another tiny member of the genus. Little if any odor, especially compared to the larger species (and you don't have to go all the way to titanum to get really smelly....).
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

ArnoldT

« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
This one is getting smaller each year.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
My A. candidissimum is also getting smaller each year - and later, not up until well after mid summer last time but I realized its place is very dry after successive years of drought and the soil is dust dry over concrete dry, beneath about 5cm. I think it has simply not been able to get roots well down and growing properly. I've moved most of it and hope for better things. But we have now had good rain for the first time in maybe 4 years so many things should do better from the coming spring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
One of the Arisaemas in the same bed was attached by a root mealy bug.  I dug it up and treated and replanted and that one is doing fine.  I'm think I may have to have a look at the  A. candidissimum to see if there is another infestation.

See:

http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/MealyBugs

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

fredg

« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »
Little Arisaema flavum has made its late appearance again.
This little plant is a proper coloniser.

Fred

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
Little Arisaema flavum has made its late appearance again.
This little plant is a proper coloniser.

One I like very much, especially when it has its round heads of red fruits. :) I have 2 forms. The taller is about 60cms high and the other, ssp. abbreviatum, only 10-12cms. The flowers on both are more yellow than in your picture Fred.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal