We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus December 2023  (Read 2246 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus December 2023
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 11:16:12 AM »
So nice pictures Ashley and Stefan. :)

In my garden, not all G. plicatus do grow as well as ´Three Ships´. ´E.A. Bowles´, for instance, hardly produces any new bulbs, but does very well on sandy or better drained soils. ´Trym´is another one, which doesn´t bulk for me, though it did very well with the kind friend from whom I got it. Perhaps some clones require drier conditions during summer to split than my garden offers?

I don't have 'Three Ships' so I can't say anything about it, but it is interesting what you wrote.
I lost 'E.A.Bowles' in one bed last year, but luckily I had divided it and had one bulb in another spot, so it is not lost alltogether. The spot where it is growing now is moist, and perhaps I should move it to a drier spot. Then again 'Wendy's Gold' diminished in a dry spot while growing well in more moist spot, so there are differences among the same species.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
Being a newbie to growing snow drops I would like to determine how important solid type is to successful growing.

I don't understand what you mean. Solid type?
Leena from south of Finland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 02:22:26 PM »
I don't understand what you mean. Solid type?

I have a strong hunch that Jeff in referring to “soil” type.

I do not know much about the genus Galanthus, but I am finding this discussion quite interesting. It appears different Galanthus clones respond to differing soil types and soil conditions in different ways. Other variables are likely involved too. These general concepts can be applied to plants from other Genus. Personally I have found that there is a whole inner world of variation within each species of plants. I have found that this inner world is also in a constant state of flux. From my perspective there are unlimited, infinite possibilities. For me this is part of what makes gardening so much fun and rewarding.

I do look forward to following this thread and learning more about Galanthus.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Stefan B.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2023, 04:17:51 PM »
The soil in my garden is brown forest soil. Maybe this nice soil helped me create my garden, all the plants grow beautifully without much effort on my part. The only thing I add is compost that I make myself. "Three ships" develop normally with me, I have had no problem growing them. During the dry season, they are watered regularly.

Jeffnz

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 07:01:35 PM »
Robert
Yes I was referring to soil type, clay/silt/loam/sandy....

Palustris

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »
Out of interest when does G. plicatus ssp. plicatus normally flower, that is in a normal season?
I ask as the clump I have has flower colour just showing now.

Palustris

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 02:30:40 PM »

G. elwesii Snow Fox. A little earlier than usual.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2023, 02:36:43 PM »
Galanthus plicatus ‘Colossus’ is flowering here.
Belgium

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2023, 03:06:30 PM »
An early start here too, although this plicatus byzantinus seedling usually opens for Christmas.
'Hans Guck in die Luft', 'Lapwing' & 'Mrs Macnamara' have also begun.

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Stefan B.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2023, 05:47:30 PM »
And the shape of the color and the green marking are different, great:)

Galanthus elwesii maybe (Hiemalis Group)
I bought the bulbs from a hypermarket a few years ago, only these two bulbs survived and bloomed this winter for the first time.

Mariette

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 04:39:32 PM »
Today we enjoyed a bit of sunshine, after all.  :)

´Three Ships´ grows very well here. For the lack of space in my garden, it´s making its way into the vegetable plot.  ;)

A Galanthus elwesii I received from a dear friend. Unlike other large-flowered G. e. it clumps well.

Another tall Galanthus elwesii from a mixture I bought years ago.

Herman, the Belgiums seem well ahead of us, ´Colossus´is not yet in flower here.

Ashley, a beautiful scenery, once again!

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2023, 04:11:14 PM »
Today we enjoyed a bit of sunshine, after all.  :)

´Three Ships´ grows very well here. For the lack of space in my garden, it´s making its way into the vegetable plot.  ;)

A Galanthus elwesii I received from a dear friend. Unlike other large-flowered G. e. it clumps well.

Another tall Galanthus elwesii from a mixture I bought years ago.

Herman, the Belgiums seem well ahead of us, ´Colossus´is not yet in flower here.

Ashley, a beautiful scenery, once again!
Mariette, the temperature has been here around 10°C for the last weeks, maybe that is the reason.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal