We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Puschkinia-2013  (Read 2246 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Puschkinia-2013
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
I was under some doubt - is it worth to open new topic or include Puschkinias under Scilla, but seeing topic dedicated to only Fritillaria davidii, I asked myself =- why not. And there it is.
Puschkinias are very widespread and generally there is little variation in various stocks. Mostly they are bluish toned, but occasionally some white specimens can be seen and one was selected in Armenia by Arnis Seisums and named SNOWDRIFT. They are generally distributed at quite high altitudes in Caucasus and entering E Turkey and W Iran. As higher they grow as smaller becomes flower spike and this feature is partly kept in cultivation, too. Here are pictures of various gatherings and I attached altitude at the picture.
CMGG-028 comes from Georgia
next is from Czug pass in NE Turkey
Follows three from Iran (WHIR)
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

Re: Puschkinia-2013
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
The first two are from the highest collected typical Puschkinia scilloides - found in Iran. In wild there were no more than 3 flowers in spike. Same (e little improwed) it keeps in cultivation, but they keep pyramidal shape of flower arrangement.
Following two pictures are made at higher altitude imn NE Turkey. Note completely different shape of flower spike. I think that it is completely new species and not only high mountain form. In its locality I didn't see any with pyramidal spike as in typical P. scilloides. On the first picture two pots with it are placed between other gatherings of P. scilloides (typical)
As last in this entry I'm attaching  picture of Snowdrift - it was collected in Armenia by Arnis Seisums.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:48:51 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

Re: Puschkinia-2013
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
Last Puschkinia is quite recently described P. peshmenii. On first picture sample from type gathering, on second collected by our team (Gothenburg + Latvia ) - I think that our is more spectacular, although not so unusual. It blooms later and flowers are more tubular.
So by my opinion there are at least 3 species Puschkinias - old one - P. scilloides, then P. peshmenii and last one still wait escription. P. libanotica is regarded as sinonim of P. scilloides and most likely it is so, as Plants collected in Iran not very far from Liban looks as scilloides.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:20:21 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal