We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and Foliage August 2008  (Read 49431 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Flowers and Foliage August 2008
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »
Paul, you may be interested in the reply I have just had from the National Collection Holder of Eucomis (why I didn't think of contacting him to start with I don't know).

The two species grow side by side on the Drakensberg Mountains so it's not unusual for dormant bulbs to be collected from the wrong species (it has happened to me also). I find seed of E.schijffii, as well as being scarce, very difficult to germinate and grow on. Leaf cuttings can be a more reliable source.

This explains where the mix-up occured. ::) There is an article in this months (September!) RHS The Garden magazine by Alan Street on Eucomis.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
Here are

1. Impatiens arguta - a perennial and hardy species - recently introduced from China
    and for comparison
2. Impatiens namcharbawensis - much more blue but unfortunately an annual
3. Fruits of Rubus nepalensis - a surprise for me because I found them the first time

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Staale

• Ståle Sørensen
  • Staale S
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »
Kenneth;
That was a really nice Aconitum. I have never seen Aconitum arcuatum. Is it a twining species?
Staale Sorensen, 120 km north of Oslo, Norway

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »
Gerd, I had no idea you were such an "impatient" fellow  ;) :D ;) Do you grow many of these lovley plants?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
Gerd, I had no idea you were such an "impatient" fellow  ;) :D ;) Do you grow many of these lovley plants?

Yes, Maggi - unfortunately I am very impatient (in the sense of 'ungeduldig') and I tried hard to change myself (with limited success)  ;D ;D ;D.

But seriously, I grow only the two species of Impatiens I showed but love them very much.
Recently Impatiens tinctoria was mentioned in the Forum of the pbs. I added this species to my want list!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
They are interesting plants, Gerd, and not ones I have seen being grown.... can you tell me how tall they grow, please?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
Brian,

I contacted Cameron McMaster regarding the Eucomis Shijffii and he has confirmed it is the dark type, not looking like bicolor.  There is also what looks like an paler form without any of the purple in teh flowers or the leaves, but it is looking like being given its own species name.  So at least we know now what it would be looking like if we DO get it.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2008, 12:45:38 AM »
Nice plants, Shelagh. 
Try looking here first for Scilla numidica
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?accepted_id=300284&repSynonym_id=-9998&name_id=288823&status=false
and you will find that its name was changed to Barnardia numidica and a reference on the PBS
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Barnardia

Diane
Another case of our government bureaucracy being behind the times! Scilla numidica is on ICON (the list of seed allowed to be imported into Australia) but Barnardia isn't! If someone were to send Barnardia numidica seed to us it would be confiscated and it would require the sender to verify the name as being a synonym of the "allowed" Scilla numidica! Just my sending them a reference to the fact wouldn't be enough! At least that's what happened this year with regard to some seed sent from Overseas! it would be great to be part of the EU! (except for the weather).
And Shelagh, it's a little stunner that scilla barnardia of yours!
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:04:52 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »
They are interesting plants, Gerd, and not ones I have seen being grown.... can you tell me how tall they grow, please?

Impatiens arguta + I. namcharbawensis = about 60 cm
Impatiens tinctoria =  up to 2,2 m  and scented!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Kenneth K

« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
My G flanagannii is about 3 dm and it is overwintering in a welldrained bulb bed. I believe it can grow a little higher. In Gothenburg botanic garden they have an old plant which is at least 4 dm high.
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
Thanks Kenneth, it looks very nice - It is now going on my wants list !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Kenneth K

« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
Aconitum arcuatum is a species from South Korea. It was collected in the 80s by personnel from Gothenburg botanical garden. It is not actually twining. The stems are not so strong and are growing in bows. In swedish it is called "Bågstormhatt" = "Bow aconitum". It needs some support and I should call it "half twining"

Kenneth K

« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
A little more about G flanagannii. It is from South Africa. I have read that it goes by the name of suicide gladiolus because it grows in crevices in vertical basalt cliffs. To get to it you are risking your life! Fortunately it grows quite well in the garden.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »
A little more about G flanagannii. It is from South Africa. I have read that it goes by the name of suicide gladiolus because it grows in crevices in vertical basalt cliffs. To get to it you are risking your life! Fortunately it grows quite well in the garden.

Mine is in a small trough, as you can see, and stays out all year. I notice it has well developed seed pods and there are some small offsets so I may try some in the alpine house?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
A Barnardia is it!  Diane's links tell me it is primitve, a bulb geophyte and a member of Asparagaceae.  All I really need to know is does it still come under bulb classes in the SRGC and AGS?  I think I shall probably only need another 10 years before I can get a full 3 inch pot ::) ::) ::)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal