We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 221458 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: wildlife
« Reply #960 on: June 18, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
I was out early this morning before it got too hot. As promised I enclose a photo. of the Lizard orchid img. 1020694. Also seen were purple loosestrife img. 1020701. Blackstonia perfoliata img. 1020702. White campion, a declining flower in this area img.1020703. also Erigeron acer img. 1020708.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #961 on: June 18, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
This lovely dragonfly, a Broad-Bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa), has been frequenting our garden pond recently. I was able to watch it mate with a female who subsequently laid eggs in the pond.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

ArnoldT

« Reply #962 on: June 18, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »
Here's two shots of an infant praying mantis getting a start on a career of pest control.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ian mcdonald

« Reply #963 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
Just back from a visit to an old sand quarry to look at a rare sedge. Among the other plants seen were vipers bugloss img. 1020709. Musk thistle img. 1020710 and tree lupin img. 1020710.

scotalar

« Reply #964 on: June 26, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
I'm always wondering how our nature is great and how we can kill this beauty
I like to travel around the world. For me it is like game with myself "How many countries can you visit?" Haha...

Roma

« Reply #965 on: June 26, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Last week I spotted this bullfinch eating seeds of Oxalis enneaphylla
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #966 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
How dare he? I wonder will the seeds go right through and maybe germinate somewhere else or will they be chewed up - well, whatever small birds do to their food - and be fully digested.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

François Lambert

« Reply #967 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »
'singing' every night in the garden for a coupe of weeks now.  And we have a couple living here, so with a bit of luck they will have chicks.

Indeed, they raised 2 chicks.  Unfortunately, strong winds a couple of weeks ago has blown one of the 2 chiks out of the three where they were raised.  But the other one was spotted in the garden one morning at the age they start to move from one tree to the next, a one week period where they develop better flying skills and loose their last down, but still get fed by the parents.  They whistle constantly from 6 PM to 5 AM to tell their location to the parents.  So, that morning, when going to the greenhouse I spotted this on an old pole right at the backdoor  :D
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #968 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
Wow!  How  great to have that in the garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #969 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
Wow!  How  great to have that in the garden.

That's one of those moments when I feel 'rich'.  Now that he is starting his life on his own, he left the garden and we find it very 'silent' in the garden.  We were so used to hear him whistling all night long.  In previous years we have also had chuch owls nesting under the roof of the barn.  And we are very happy to see there are again a few swallows flying around.  We had a nice population of more than 50 three year ago, but the last two years we had none flying around.  My guess is that they got caught on their migration to be roasted & eaten.  Often the swallows make their nests in te barn.  A bit messy because swallows don't clean up the poo of the chicks, but a big piece of cardboard just under the nest is the right solution.  Same for the chirch owls in fact, they also let everything drop down.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #970 on: June 29, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
As Maggi says, wonderful to have an owl in the garden. I have a North Island friend who had a family of our native moreporks in his garden. The nest was right at the top of a very tall bamboo, among stems which were 15cms thick. They were very hard to photograph though, about 10 metres off the ground. The morepork is so named because of his call which literally sounds like "more pork."

I really like your signature under your post Francois. The very essence of being "aholic" (alcoholic, bulb or seedaholic, is that there is NO moderation. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #971 on: July 03, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
I took this shot near the Ken Dee marshes in Galloway some weeks ago.  A field was being cut for silage and a group of Red Kites were swooping down collecting the insects being disturbed.
This bird was trailing a length of grass around with it.  Why, I don't know.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #972 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:20 AM »
A magnificent shot Tom. It would take a lot of insects to feed so large a bird.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #973 on: July 04, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »
This particular caterpillar which I found by chance in my garden yesterday gained recognition as iNaturalist's Observation of the Day http://naturewatch.org.nz/observations/6900594 Its name is Declana egregia and is also known as the South Island zebra or SI lichen moth. The host plant for the caterpillars are various Pseudopanax species. I don't have a photo of the moth which is notable for its striking black and white pattern (see http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/resources/identification/animals/large-moths/image-gallery/geometridae/declana-egregia) The caterpillar is truly an extraordinary creature in its camouflage and behaviour and is one amongst the many jewels of our local biodiversity here on the Otago Peninsula. The moth also features on the NZ $100 dollar note and I don't see those very often either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:22:34 PM by Maggi Young »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #974 on: July 10, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
A Song Thrush brood photographed a few days ago in a nest on the side of our garage. They have since fledged.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal