We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 217585 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: wildlife
« Reply #1590 on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
I have hares in the garden but these came by broad daylight and browsed crocus leaves and rhododendron buds!

cute if troublesome...lol Deer don't come in here or eat my plants much- occasionally I see one passing through.  Moose were in recently to do some of their winter pruning of shrubs. I was happy to note that a couple of Sorbus seedlings have managed to grow too tall for the moose to reach the tops, but they are not out of danger yet: they sometimes grab a slender trunk and bend it over/break it halfway so the tender tips become in reach! Mostly they do this to native poplars of which there are thousands, so no loss, also sometimes Amelanchier, not at all rare either,  but it could happen to these Sorbus. Our original S aucuparia,planted sometime in the '70's really only reached a tree-like height rather recently, since they pruned it into a multi-stemmed shrub, which is why I thought it would be nice if some young ones (bird sown) could grow tall enough to be able to maintain single trunk shape.

Roma

« Reply #1591 on: February 03, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
We haven't seen many squirrels about this last year but two have recently been coming to my brother's nut feeder next door.  I bought this metal feeder because the wooden ones let in water and the peanuts went mouldy if the squirrels were not eating them up.  Saturday was the first time I saw a squirrel there.  He struggled a bit because he couldn't get his back feet on the edge like they can with the wooden feeders and it was quite a stretch to reach the nuts.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #1592 on: February 03, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
He looks very like his Cork cousins ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Roma

« Reply #1593 on: February 03, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
This one is a bright red including his tail.  The other one is darker and has a blonde tip to its tail.  The dark ones usually have a very dark tail which gradually turns blonde before they shed and the new hair grows in.  A few years ago we had some which could have been described as strawberry roan if they were horses.

679932-0
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #1594 on: February 03, 2021, 05:18:05 PM »
'Ours' vary a lot in colour too, as do the length/thickness of their ear tufts presumably depending on the state of molt. 
We find them highly entertaining ('Cirque du Squirrel' as they leap through the branches & occasionally make mistakes :o), and by giving them their own feeders they don't bother the birds much.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1595 on: February 06, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
Eurasian jay (Garrulus glandarius) is a regular visitor in the garden in winter.

680110-0

A blackbird awaits his turn.

680112-1
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1596 on: February 12, 2021, 07:24:28 PM »
Eurasian jay (Garrulus glandarius) is a regular visitor in the garden in winter.

(Attachment Link)

A blackbird awaits his turn.

(Attachment Link)

That's a nice one!

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #1597 on: February 13, 2021, 11:41:38 PM »
Today i ran 4km to heat slowly the machine for the next spring hikes, i had my camera in the backpack and the light was amazing.
North of France

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1598 on: February 21, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
Today i ran 4km to heat slowly the machine for the next spring hikes, i had my camera in the backpack and the light was amazing.

beautiful views

François Lambert

« Reply #1599 on: February 22, 2021, 08:54:23 PM »
I noticed some trails in the meadows, and after our 'polar' week last week they are now much more visible.  Someone told us this is probably a badger trail.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:02:18 PM by François Lambert »
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1600 on: February 24, 2021, 09:15:51 AM »
The snow is gone but the deer is back. This time a 1 year old red deer calf. It looks a bit shabby though.

680993-0

680995-1
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1601 on: February 24, 2021, 06:08:58 PM »
The snow is gone but the deer is back. This time a 1 year old red deer calf. It looks a bit shabby though.

It could be that it couldn't find enough food with your unusual snow cover Trond.
Now it seems wants to recuperate  :D I spot some snowdrops in the picture, luckily they don't like to eat those.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1602 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »

Maybe just late winter coat? It should be easy feeding now, anyway.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1603 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
I noticed some trails in the meadows, and after our 'polar' week last week they are now much more visible.  Someone told us this is probably a badger trail.

That's fun.. do you ever see them?

GordonT

« Reply #1604 on: March 24, 2021, 12:32:44 AM »
A few weeks ago, we had a surprise visitor to our pond, a creature which is usually only seen if you head into the wilderness, and are very lucky. River Otters are not common here, so we were amazed to be able to watch it from the comfort of our sun room. Martin captured a video of it, on his cell phone. We posted it to our Facebook page here, hopefully you'll be able to see it as well:
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal