We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220470 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: wildlife
« Reply #1560 on: December 18, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
Our ladybirds seem to be choosing strange places to hibernate this year - here a group have decided on one of the metal plant stakes;
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1561 on: December 19, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
Our ladybirds seem to be choosing strange places to hibernate this year - here a group have decided on one of the metal plant stakes;
Beatles getting into metal?  :o
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #1562 on: December 21, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
Just back from work for launch pause, along a small road behind the house subjects were waiting me for photos :+)
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #1563 on: December 27, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
After the storm direction the sea for good lights, well i was gifted.
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #1564 on: December 27, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
35mm dropped in few hours
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #1565 on: December 27, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
not much plants yet

North of France

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #1566 on: December 28, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »
not much plants yet

-  but beautiful views!
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Roma

« Reply #1567 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Could this be where my Helleborus niger flowers went?  There were three of them - not in the garden but very close.

678726-0
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #1568 on: January 03, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
nice neighbour  :D

7°c and very wet climate however i stayed behind a huge tree 1h or so and was again rewarded.
I also discovered a lot of Asplenium scolopendrium, a species in decline in the region.
North of France

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1569 on: January 22, 2021, 07:59:33 PM »
(Attachment Link)

wow, not much shelter there! Here they need to choose much more out of view locations!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1570 on: January 22, 2021, 08:01:50 PM »
Yann-- nice views and lovely bird!
Roma-- hope your pretty neighbour doesn't spend too much time in your garden!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1571 on: January 22, 2021, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi bird watchers. It’s nature watch time.

I have a large Bramley apple tree, maybe 70 years plus old. Hanging from it are 3 bird seed feeders. 2 identical spring loaded anti-squirrel types and 1 caged to keep them out, all with clear plastic tubes. They are each ~10 feet apart. I normally only feed with hulled sun-flower seed, so essentially all are identical. After a time they get quite grubby, partly from grease from the seed and dirt in general that you would expect from 100’s of bird visits. I clean them every so often of course. The grease from the seed takes some cleaning off.
Often I notice that 1 of the feeders attracts little attention, (or conversely all the attention) and when I fill them up maybe 2 are empty and the other almost full. I used to think this was the position as 1 is close to the hedge, 1 in clear open space beneath the centre of the tree, and the other nearer the house. I cleaned 2 of them a couple of weeks ago but left the other, less dirty, until later. I have only recently realised that it is the 2 clean feeders with visibly clearer tubes that get all the attention. If I swap them around the birds change which ones they use within an hour or so and the grubby one is left almost full. It works every time. Even when 2 are completely empty there are few if any small birds on the grubby one. Just a Greater Spotted Woodpecker left feeding this afternoon. No small birds at all.
Who would have thought that garden birds were that choosy about free food? I assume it is because the grease that comes out of the seed stops a clear vision and they don’t recognise the seed. Any other ideas?

Not sure what it is about-- I have a feeder normally used only in winter, but left out, so I expect the low temperatures and UV to keep it sanitary generally, but the 'clear' part is certainly cloudy, I think I've even had some that had opaque reservoir areas, so I don't see visibility being important-- mind you mine are the sort where the seed spills out of the reservoir at the bottom, and that is where the birds access it...

Véronique Macrelle

Re: wildlife :
« Reply #1572 on: January 23, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
I sometimes hunt for slugs by turning over the pots of seedlings in the garden.
and I found that !!

surprisingly, it looks above and far from an orange woodlouse, but turning it over, we see that it is more of a gastropod.

brought home for observation, I deduce that it ranks among chitons (Polyplacophora),but I did not know of any species of terrestrial chiton. in addition, he has some sort of siphon (or other) in shell, pointing from behind.
it advances while undulating.
Does anyone know this little orange thing (1 cm)? I would like to determine this 'garden chiton'

679331-0
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:03:20 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

ArnoldT

« Reply #1573 on: January 23, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Tristan_He

« Reply #1574 on: January 23, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
Hi Veronique,

I'm pretty sure that isn't a chiton. First, because they are (supposedly) all marine, and secondly because they have a girdle surrounding the main part of the body, which your animal doesn't have. That said, I'm afraid I don't know what it is (though my money would be on some sort of insect larva - some of the blue butterflies (Lycaenidae) have very strange looking larvae).

Did you take a photo of the underside and if so can you post? It might provide some clues.

Best wishes, Tristan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal