We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New SRGC Honoray President - Sandy Leven  (Read 440 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
New SRGC Honoray President - Sandy Leven
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
I learned today that Sandy Leven, a man who has lived and breathed SRGC  for many decades,  was announced at the Early Bulb Day as the SRGC Honorary President.  Great News! 

The position became vacant on the death of the much loved Bette Ivey and I can think of no-one better suited than Sandy to now take on this highly honoured position.
Sandy has lived in the areas of various SRGC local Groups and has been an enthusiastic member of them all. He has served many years as a Group Convenor organising meeting programmes and hospitality for Speakers.

As a Show Secretary he has worked tirelessly to make the Stirling Show - first in the Albert Hall in Stirling then in the Victoria Hall in Dunblane a real success  - sometimes aided by some gentle "rewards " to exhibitors in the form of Chocolate creme eggs. Sandy was also instrumental in the Early Bulb Days, wherever they've been held in Dunblane and deeply involved in all the "doings" of the SRGC Bulb  Group. He has long been a keen exhibitor at our Shows. He has been deeply involved in the RHS Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee.   

He has given talks and opened his garden - and at every event, locally or otherwise, he has been supported by his lovely wife Anne - who has been responsible for feeding many hundreds of attendees, particularly, though not exclusively, at Dunblane Events.  The Levens' offspring have also helped out  on many occasions.
Sandy was a popular and hardworking SRGC President and has also served as Publicity manager as well as just about every other task in the Club!

He has played a huge part in all the SRGC ' tremendous successes in the  major flower shows held at Strathclyde and Ingliston - among other smalller events. Goodness knows how many vehicles have been worn out by Sandy in the service of the Club!

He has made superb contribution to the SRGC website over the years, both with Show and Forrest Medal reports on the main website and also supporting the Forum well, especially in the early years.

I can well imagine that Sandy has done much, much more for the SRGC, that I cannot bring to mind right now, but I do know there is no other person so qualified to be our figurehead.

Many congratulations to you, dear Sandy - it is a pleasure to call you the Honorary President of the Scottish Rock Garden Club!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Sandy Leven

Sandy with Janis Ruksans

Sandy Leven at a show with David Millward

Anne and Sandy Leven at an Early Bulb Show

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal