We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New garden - new plants wanted  (Read 12223 times)

Ian Minty

New garden - new plants wanted
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
Hello folks, I have just moved to a new house and I am looking for some new plants.
The garden is over 150 feet long and over 40 feet wide and is going to take quite a bit of filling.
So I was looking to buy some young plants from other members in the Aberdeenshire area to help in the filling.
I am particularly interested in all types of meconopsis, corydalis, all bulbs, cardinocrinum, hostas, grasses, bamboos, acers, rhododendrons and woodland plants.
I would like to grow from seed, but I work away from home a lot and I wouldn't have the time to care for these.
But the time that I do have at home I like to spend in the garden.
I'll post some photos of the garden when I get home again. There is a beautiful tree paeony that should be about flowering by the time I get home and I was able to take some plants from my last garden so I'll take some photos of them too.
Any offers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ian.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New garden - new plants wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
Hello, Ian, I was beginning to think you'd run off to sea!  Glad to have you back with us... is this a new new house... meaning, have I got the proper address to send your newsletter to? Sounds like it will keep you busy with a new garden that size, but it will have plenty space for the little Mintys to play in, too.
Wishing you long life and happiness in your new home!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Minty

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »
Well actually Maggie, I'm actually sitting in the middle of the North Sea at the moment and I'm not joking. I had to laugh when I saw your response.
My apologies for not keeping in touch over the last year or so, the last 12 -18 months have been an absolute nightmare.
Diagnosed with a form of cancer, sold the house, moved the family in with the mother in law, not good being in a house with 5 women - I was totally outnumbered, had my op, bought a new house, got the all clear from the docs - tumour was non malignant, got a new job and now working in the north sea, but with plenty of shore leave to spend in the garden with the little minty's - happy days now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:37:34 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »
Oh, well, I suppose it might have been the circus!! Mercy, what a time you've had, I am so pleased to hear that things are doing fine now. Very scary when health issues go to pot, I know.
I already said, Wishing you long life and happiness in your new home! But you know I really mean that, even more so now I hear what you've gone through. And love to all the female Minty's too !!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Minty

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:14:06 PM »
Is there nobody out there with some plants that I can buy to help fill my garden?
Are there any nurseries that I could do a wholesale deal with?
I am looking to do mass plantings of varieties of meconopsis and corydalis and I am especially looking for woodland plants erythtoniums, trilliums , candelabra and sikkemensis primulas etc

dan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »
where do u live? generally?
Dan Hale
York

Ian Minty

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
I live in a small town called Huntly.
It is around 40 miles from Aberdeen in the middle of the north east of scotland.
I am heading up to a small nursery near Forres at a village called Dyke on sunday to  see what he has
Last time I was there he had some nice meconopsis and trilliums.
Normally I would have popped across to see Fred Carrie at Tough, but that nursery is now closed.
There is not much choise in the garden centres here and some places charge a small fortune for nice plants.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »
Ian, ask Ian Lock to tell you where Carol & David live and I am sure that we can send you on your way with a few iris and such like. Not before breakfast, mind, as we will have been up at 5 o'clock on Saturday to go to Perth Show.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Ian Minty

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »
Thanks for your offer David, I'll pop in past on sunday (not too early though).
I hope you don't mind kids as I'll have 2 of my young daughters in tow.
We're going to Dyke and then up to Fort George to take advantage of the freebie weekend with Historic Scotland.
I would have been going to Perth as well, but the other half is away for the weekend and I'm left babysitting.
You can show me all the firsts that you have won.

Ian Minty

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 12:24:53 AM »
Hi folks, here are some pics from my garden.
I am having a bit of a job resizing them.
I still have a lot of work to do in the garden, it was infested with weeds and wild strawberries when I moved in.

Ian Minty

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 12:27:08 AM »
Some more.

Ian Minty

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 12:28:49 AM »
And again, I'm getting the hang of this.

Ian Minty

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:30:53 AM »
And now some flowers and foliage.

Ian Minty

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »
And some more.

Ian Minty

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 12:34:21 AM »
And again

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal