We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Asplenium Scolopendrium varieties  (Read 9706 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Asplenium Scolopendrium varieties
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:02:24 AM »
Hi All

gosh - this newlook forum will take me a while to get used to.

I am wondering if anyone has any interesting Scollies out there that they would be willing to swap / sell any offsets from.

with many thanks

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Asplenium Scolopendrium varieties
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:48:20 PM »
Yay! A fellow fernyholic! Show me yours and I'll show you mine.... seriously though, it's raining steadily here and I'm enjoying washing old wallpaper paste off my walls SO much, that I'll have to take photos later. Then all the non-fernyholics will probably think we're utterly mad.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

dan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »
hi john from what i can remember long acre plants have a good selection of asplenium scolopendrium......you may already know this.....if not they havce a very good website  ;D
Dan Hale
York

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 12:25:56 AM »
Hi Anne and Dan

thank you for your replies. 

Dan - I think I have purchased all of the scollies that Longacre have (a great nursery indeed) - in fact I think I may have got all the plants that are available from all the nurseries that I know of.  This is why I have posted to this forum in the hope that some members may have plants that are not commercially available.

Anne - some pictures are attached (hopefully - if I can work out this new forum....).   The plants are not looking great at the moment as I have been looking after 2 cats for the last months and they have ripped many leaves when doing what cats do!  These photos are a few months old (I can post more next year if you think that the SRGC members would be interested?)  Are you Anne Wright as in 'the Wright way to sow fern spores'?  If so - I owe you thanks for teaching me how to have such high success rates.

So if any members have some harts tongue varieties that are not the easily available ones I would be very interested to hear from you.

with many thanks

John
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:27:42 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 12:32:36 AM »
Hi, have you got a website url for Long Acre plants, please?

PS  John, You've made a good start to your posting inthe new forum, well done!

I say, have you just added that ID photo while I was posting? I'm sure it wasn't there before!
Mind you, at this time of night I'm  not sure what I see, really, I just know that those glossy green ferns make me hungry ( daft, I know, but most things make me hungry, its my hobby).. that is, until I read about the cats!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:38:43 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:48:54 AM »
Hi Maggi

the Longacre website is http://www.longacreplants.co.uk/

Ordering online can be a bit confusing - it tooks me a few wrong clicks before I worked it out.  Postage is £7 per order - but the plants are the best packaged of any nursery that I have ever purchased from.

No you are not suffering from sleep deprevation - I did add the profile photo about 5 minutes ago.

Now you've made me hungry too - just the mention of food.....

regards

John

John

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »
It's raining again today - yet another excuse for not taking photos! Yes those are our spore-sowing instructions, so if anyone would like a copy please email me. I for one (possibly the one of few) would like to see more ferns, but from experience they are not top of the forum's list of topics of interest! During the winter, ferns can bring a lot of foliage interest to the garden, and I promise to go out and take photos as soon as the weather improves, and I can commandeer the camera.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

dan

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:24:01 PM »
 ;D and i thought it was me just being stupid thinking the longacre website was confusing!
Dan Hale
York

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:00:30 PM »
Hi dan

it is tricky isn't it!

For anyone wishing to order:

once you get the hang of it things are OK - but if you don't click in the correct order......

1)  goto www.longacreplants.co.uk
2)  then click on 'Click here to go to our online shop'
3)  then you have to click on 'shop' (this is the bit that took me ages to find....)
4)  then it should be straight forward

getting past stage 3 is what was most frustrating for me.

Hope this helps others as Longacre have got loads of excellent plants that are always top quality and well packaged.

cheers

John

John

dan

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »
 :D yes i was exactly the same as you...maybe someone should e-mail them as they may be losing customers I think I visited the site about thre times before I worked it out and couldn't work out how to access  the shop and then one day I spotted it out of the corner of my eye. Problem solved!
Dan Hale
York

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:50 AM »
Alright Dan

I did phone them last year to mention this to them - they seemed to think it was me being stupid and didn't see a problem.  Oh well.  I did try, honest.

cheers

John

John

dan

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
 >:( evidently it is a problem...oh well it's their loss!
Dan Hale
York

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 12:47:49 AM »
Maggi, did you realize that there are many ferns which are edible? The NZ Maoris know about them and use them in cooking and in medicines. Living here, it's a good plan to have some knowledge of which species are palatable as if lost in the bush, one can last out for many days on ferns and other edible species - if one knows which.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 05:55:10 AM »
Hi Lesley

Just like fungi, some ferns are edible and some are very poisonous.

An example of a popular edible one is Matteuccia struthiopteris (the shuttlecock fern), sold pre-picked and packaged as 'fiddleheads' in America, proved free of poisons.

Whereas Bracken contains a rather nasty mix of carcinogens and in some cases cyanide.

I think I shall be sticking to cabbage and peas with my dinner...

John
John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »
Lesley, I have munched on many a piece of Matteuccia struthiopteris ,it's one way to keep it in check!
You know me, I'm not backward in finding things to sniff and/or eat!!
I take your point, though, John, caution must be advised in such matters... there's no point in THINKING you know what you're eating, you have to REALLY KNOW!!
Enjoy your lunch!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal