We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Black Sea Snowdrops 2024  (Read 479 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Black Sea Snowdrops 2024
« on: March 19, 2024, 08:25:58 PM »
If you've read Alan B's report of the Greentours/AGS 2017 tour to see the Galanthus of Turkey/Georgia (https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15236.0) you'll understand why I was keen to go myself.
Sadly for the 2024 trip Andy Byfield was unable to come but Kurt Vickery led instead with his usual combination of charm and expertise, assisted by Fatih in Turkey and Tolkha in Georgia.
First visit was to the fabulous Sumela Monastery nestled on the side of the mountain, home not just to fascinating frescos but also a population of Galanthus rizehensis.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:27:57 PM by Gail »
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

Re: Black Sea Snowdrops 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 08:30:16 PM »

Fatih, showing great faith in the railings!

Galanthus rizehensis at Sumela Monastery

Galanthus rizehensis
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:32:17 PM »

Galanthus woronowii, riverside colony with Primula vulgaris

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 08:46:57 PM »
The Ridos Thermal Hotel is notable for the roar of the river that runs alongside and a thriving colony of Galanthus alpinus growing with cyclamen and pink Primula vulgaris sibthorpii.

The Mençuna Waterfall supports probably one of the best protected colonies of snowdrops - Galanthus woronowii on steep wet rock;

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 08:51:39 PM »
We didn't get to see the G. koenenianus that Alan's group saw but did find some fabulous G. krasnovii in peak flowering.

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 09:00:19 PM »
We looked at the churchyard colony of ? Galanthus lagodechianus that Alan visited - mostly finished flowering.

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 09:05:34 PM »
We found Galanthus shaoricus in Georgian beech wood with Helleborus abchasicus and Erythronium caucasicum.

Loved the glaucous leaves on this species.

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 09:12:49 PM »
The main colony of G. platyphyllus that we tried for was under snow so we just had a picnic stop - Georgian bread is fabulous!

However we were really lucky to find a roadside stop with G. shaoricus on one side of the road and an absolutely lovely colony of platyphyllus on the other.

For me, this one was the absolute star of the trip - beautiful foliage, an exquisitely marked flower and fragrant...

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 09:20:38 PM »
If you've read Alan B's report of the Greentours/AGS 2017 tour to see the Galanthus of Turkey/Georgia (https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15236.0) you'll understand why I was keen to go myself.
Sadly for the 2024 trip Andy Byfield was unable to come but Kurt Vickery led instead with his usual combination of charm and expertise, assisted by Fatih in Turkey and Tolkha in Georgia.
First visit was to the fabulous Sumela Monastery nestled on the side of the mountain, home not just to fascinating frescos but also a population of Galanthus rizehensis.
A super report, Gail - so glad you got to make the trip.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 09:03:58 AM »
Wow Gail, thanks for the photos; I really wish I was back there with your group.  I agree that Galanthus platyphyllus really is the most spectacular snowdrop; I'm glad you got to see some.  If only someone could work out how to grow it well in the UK. 

Krasnovii was under snow when we were there but we had a fun time searching for it.  Our efforts were in vain so a sighting of krasnovii is one up on our trip.

Koenenianus is a sad little snowdrop that seems to be hanging on to existence in the wild quite precariously so I wouldn't feel too bad about missing it.  We did get a hint that it could be more widespread than is known about, which would be a very good thing.

And that mystery snowdrop in the churchyard; glad it's still there.  Maybe one day somebody will work out what it is.

Good times.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 04:17:36 PM »
Gail, thank you for the pictures. You had a wonderful trip!
G.shaoricus was new to me, but when I googled it, I found Alan's pictures of it from 2017.
G.platyphyllus looks fabulous in it's natural habitat. In pictures I have seen of it earlier, I haven't been impressed, but now I see how it could look.
Maybe it could grow well also here.. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 05:49:30 PM »
Galanthus platyphyllus is a snow-melt plant that likes moist conditions once it emerges.  I'm not sure if it stays moist as the weather moves on into full summer; it's certainly exposed without shade in pictures I have seen of a typical locale.  Maybe you can manage the right conditions, Leena?  It's a beautiful snowdrop in-situ. 
Almost in Scotland.

Mariette

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 10:10:00 AM »

However we were really lucky to find a roadside stop with G. shaoricus on one side of the road and an absolutely lovely colony of platyphyllus on the other.

(Attachment Link)

For me, this one was the absolute star of the trip - beautiful foliage, an exquisitely marked flower and fragrant...

(Attachment Link)

No wonder - a fabulous specimen! But I like the G. shaoricus You showed, as well! Thank You for letting us partake in Your trip!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal