We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G. nivalis Flore Pleno - mutation  (Read 399 times)

Peter S.

G. nivalis Flore Pleno - mutation
« on: February 26, 2024, 08:32:03 PM »
Hi all.
I founded it two weeks ago among my G. nivalis Flore Pleno. It's not a seedling, but a mutation of one bulb of the offset, the bulb was separated from the rest. To me the flower looks like 'Richard Ayres'. I don't grow this variety, I can only tell about the similarity based on the photos. Typical double-form with a cross-shaped marking on the inner tepals. However, 'Richard Ayres' is one of the largest-flowered double snowdrops and my case is much smaller.  It is the first year of flowering, perhaps the next one brings bigger flowers. And as you can see, the petals are not in the best condition. Among the petals of over 200 flowers of Flore Pleno, only these were partially consumed or deformated.
Is there a good chance that the mutation will last and be stable? The cross-shaped marking seems to be very promising. Or are new varieties obtained from seedlings more reliable? And above all, is this mutation really similar to 'Richard Ayres' or another variety? Can be new one?
Thank you in advance for any tips on this matter.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 01:22:58 PM by Peter S. »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: G. nivalis Flore Pleno - mutation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 07:51:33 PM »
It may look like 'Richard Ayres' on the outside but the inside of 'Richard Ayres' is far neater.  If you did not know it was an offset I would have guessed that it was a seedling with a bit of hybridisation going on.  I'm not aware that there is much, if anything, documented about the behaviour of "sports" in Galanthus so it will be interesting to see what it does next year. 
Almost in Scotland.

Peter S.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 03:29:30 PM »
Thank you for the answer.
I thought it was a mutation because the bulb was at a depth equal to the other of the offset, outside of them and outside the site od G. nivalis Flore Pleno. The plant grows very densely and this year it will finally be transplanted to a larger area.

As far as I've read the literature, there is not a word about snowdrop sports. I thought they were not worthy of attention due to their instability or quality. And they just don't happen. So, if it is not a sport, it must a natural pollination. There is a site of G. elwesii nearby and judging by the green sign, it may actually be a hybrid of these two species. My first one, so if it only be confirmed next year, no matter how pretty it will be, it will be special to me for sure :).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 07:06:22 AM by Peter S. »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 02:28:41 PM »
For some reason that I have never seen anyone attempt to explain, when nivalis 'Flore Pleno' hybridizes with other species, I believe that the doubles tend to be a lot neater than the parent.  I have the impression that such hybrids tend to be doubles, which would indicate that the gene for double flowers is dominant.  Joe Sharman has been breeding double poculiform snowdrops so he should know if this is true.     
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal