Cultivation > Composts

Peat substitute - carnivorous plants

<< < (2/2)

brianw:
General info. I have found is that ericaceous composts here are suitable being generally low in nutrients and lower in pH. I found some are still peat based here, some says it is peat free, and some don't say. Diluted ~50% with perlite and/or lime free grit dilute it further. Nothings died so far, but too early to say.

The leaves have at last dropped here. Some of all this moss that has appeared in my grass is going into Christmas wreaths, but still getting fungi (Stink horns) popping up; very late in the season. Brian, SE UK

partisangardener:
My floating planters use only a few centimeters of substrate.
I still use some  peat from discarded pots, mix it with Perlite, sand and other calciumcarbonate-free substances. (I test everything with vinegar essence).
Other substrate additives are rotten wood, bark, spruce needles, walnut shells and even a lot old ground coffee on some.

Because the islands swim in water with a low PH, quality of peat is not essential. The rain and the acidic water they float on lowers the PH of the old peat.
Furthermore around most of this floating islands I have set a ring of different species of living Sphagnum from my old bog.

The moss grows very fast (4 to more than 8 times the volume in a year) and provides me with a lot of excess Sphagnum to add to future soils or start new planters. I even have to harvest it to prevent overgrowing the plants especially seedlings on the inner circle.
I will probably never again be in need to buy peat.

https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18726.0

It is astounding how little substrate is needed even for big plants if moisture retention of the substrate is no longer needed.

aldo:
Hi, I grow sarracenias in a mix of perlite and coir dust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version