We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Separating rockery soil from native soil  (Read 541 times)

Henrik S

Separating rockery soil from native soil
« on: August 10, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
Hi all!

I wonder if it is necessary to prevent (by using a geotextile) the surrounding native soil from mixing (by the work of earthworms) into the rockery soil? I have attached a sketch of the planting bed in cross section. Should I put a geotextile at the back against the native soil and perhaps also at the bottom to separate the rocks (put there for drainage) at the bottom from the sand/soil above. Since I am considering to grow in pure sand maybe it would be a good idea to skip the rocks at the bottom so that the plant roots eventually can reach the native soil for nutrients? I also have seen that some alpine growers put a layer of peat at the bottom so that the plants can have access to water when needed. Opinions on that?
Any help is much appreciated!

Best/ Henrik

Vinny 123

Re: Separating rockery soil from native soil
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
Soluble components in the soil are at least as important as anything else, not least calcium salts.

Dimensions?

What mineral are the rocks?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:24:01 PM by Vinny 123 »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal