We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tatra Mountains  (Read 55704 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Tatra Mountains
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:03 PM »
Chris,
it is a great pleasure to view a new part of your "Tatra Mountains" picture show.  8) 8) 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Chris, when I saw: "Drogi Krzysztofie" I was amazed that you know a bit of Polish. :) But since you have Polish friends everything seem to be clear. It is a problem how to explain where in Tatrzanska Lomnica is that Botanical Garden, but if your friends ask anybody in Polish, everyone will tell you how to go there. It is about 200m from the bus station so it is hard not to find it. It isn't big ans usually botanical gardens are, I would say, that it is very tiny, but full of interesting species. I was told, that they start to sell plants about end of May. I do not know the exact date, but going there in the beginning of July is the best time to do that. They should have all species they list. I even thought about buying more plants there once and try to sell them. The prices they have are funny silly, and the quality of most of species is really nice.

Probably I will be able to buy some plants for the users, but I will have to make a list first and it won't be big amount. I would not like to carry over 30 kg of plants again, it was really exhausting.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:31 AM »
Wonderful pictures Krzysztof !
You're putting the Tatra's higher on my "wants" list with every posting you make !!  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

snowdropman

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 09:05:55 AM »
Chris, when I saw: "Drogi Krzysztofie" I was amazed that you know a bit of Polish. :) 

I would like to be able to say that I know a lot more Polish - my wife and I have Polish lessons twice a week - but it is a very hard language to learn and it I think it will be a long time before we can have a conversation in Polish!

Thank you very much for this further information about the Tatras Botanical Garden, which I shall remember - we were staying at Piwniczna (in the Beskid Sądecki) and hope to return there in the not too distant future.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »
Hello everyone!
It is time to refresh this topic with some few new photos. I will not have much of them, because I was in Tatras only for two days. One day I spent in Tatrzanska Lomnica sleeping on the ground in the forest waiting for the opening of botanical garden. :) I have bought there SO many great plants from those mountains... The next day I came back to Zakopane in Poland and went for few hours walk. Here are photos I made than. Enjoy!

Soldanella montana

High Tatras in Slovakia

Soldanella hungarica (I think so)

I wonder if Slodanellas makes crossings, because if they do, than it would explain why I had so many times problems to distinguis S. montana from S. hungarica. In some situations it was obvious looking on their leaves and flowers in some situations the flowers were more like S. montana, but leaves were totally not typical.

Soldanella sp. - ones I was really not sure what were they.

Vipera berus - very dignified animal. Wile photographing Soldanellas I run into it.

Soldanella montana flower

S. montana (L) and S. hungarica (P) flowers compare

Dentaria glandulosa

Caltha palustris ssp. laeta

Gentiana verna - just started flowering in the lower parts of the mountains and it will be still flowering till July on the mountains peaks. One never get used to that colour. :D

Czerwone Wierchy - "Red Peaks" - how nice they look with that snow.

Crocus scepusiensis - The very last ones, I was very surprised still ti find any flowering...

(This is one of my best photo)

Vipera berus again - I really had too look under my feet, because I almost sat on the first one... That probably would end very unpleasant.

Soldanella hungarica - this one I was 100% sure

Soldanella carpatica - I have found only that one in hundreds of S. montana and hungarica and probably their hybrids...

Anemone ranunculoides - really beautiful

Undergrowth on the beginning of Koscieliska Valley, that was something I really haven't suspected to see. That Anemone ranunculoides, A. nemorosa, Primula elatior and Dentaria glandulosa all together made a perfect compositions of shapes and colours. And that amount of them, that is really unspeakable experience!

That would be all for now.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »
Overwhelming pics, as usual!
Nice to see Dentaria glandulosa in the wild - it is growing here in a bed in front of my house.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
Chris,
I concur with Gerd, simply overwhelming! :o 8) 8) 8)
What a beautiful nature there is (including Vipera berus :)).

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:37:40 PM by aruby »
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I am astonished at the colour of the viper .... so bright! Here our vipers ( adders) are quite dull brown and grey.... very hard to see in the heather  :o  This one from the Tatra is like a jewel.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:37:46 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »
Yeah, the Vipera berus was really beautiful. I have never seen this species in so bright and contrast colours. In my city I have found them much more dark, once I have found it brown, but I have never seen any one like those in Tatras. :) They were truly amazing. They were warming up in first warm, spring sun. They were very calm and fearful. They run away so fast, that I had real problems to make one good photo of them. The first one I tried to stop in one place, but it just run and run away, so I did not disturb it long and let it go.

In the past Vipera berus were very common in Zary but than in two years they extinct, I stopped seeing them. After four years finally (two years ago) I have found that one:

It is totally different animal.

This year if I will be able to go to Tatras again I plan to visit some new places in West Tatras, and make photos of some new species. Maybe I will go once or twice on the Slovakian site to see some species that do not grow in Poland any more, but they used to. I think, that I will have to go at least 3 more times to see everything what those mountains offer. :) But even than I will not resign of visiting that place. There always will be something new to explore. Next year if I will go there, I will try to concentrate on High Tatras where are also some unique species, that do not grow anywhere in other parts of those mountains. :)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »
Thank you Chris !
Wonderful pictures - great nature !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
Absolutely stunning photos all round and your enthusiasm for Nature is clear in everyone of them - have you thought about a book of your adventures in the Tatra Mountains?

PS I'm still searching for your request.... :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »
Hello my DEAREST FRIENDS,
I come back to this topic again with loads of photos for you from Tatra Mountains. I was in the same places for third or more times now and still I find new fantastic species. I really love those mountains. :) Of course it would be impossible to see everything new each time, but it is really incredible, that in the middle of July you can still find the last Soldanella carpatica, Primula minima or Gentiana verna. Like before I went to West Tatras. I went all the same tracks I did the last time. All because of my cousin with who I was this year in the mountains. I wanted to show her all the magnificence of those mountains. I must say, that she was really and totally shocked how loads of great things one can find just on a singe track. Even my friend from Poland hardly beleive I find all the species on the track and I do not sheer off the track. But I really find all those plants only and just near the tracks. :) Unfortunately, not all tourists are like my and my cousin. They trample rare plants, they pick up flowers and throw them away when they fade, they destroy mushrooms without a reason. For the first time I found people smoking on the peaks, what was really horrible. You do to the mountains to breathe fresh and even herbs smelling air, not to smell cigarettes smoke. :( For the first time I was more sad than happy of what I have found. Because of that I have about 370 photos on my Photobucket album, I will show you photos in parts. Of course I will not show you all 370 photos, because that would be too much. I brought with me about 420 photos. I have found some really outstanding species, from which I think you will be very satisfied. I wish you a pleasant journey in your minds wile watching the photos. Enjoy!

Gladiolus imbricatus - it was the first plant that welcomed us in the Tatra Mountains. It was growing in front of grocery we made shopping every day. Fortunately, this one was not noticed by tourists, unfortunately some other nearer to the rad disappeared in two days... :(

Dactylorhiza fuchsii - the only one I have found

Dactylorhiza maculata - instead of D. fuschii that one was really common. I found it almost in all valleys.

Campanula polymorpha or scheuchzeri - do you know what is the difference between those two? I really do not know. This looks to me more like the second one according to the photos in Google, but I cannot really say where is the difference. Any help will be appreciated.

Pedicularis verticillata - still flowering in the lower parts and fully flowering on the peaks. I lobe that species. I decided to try to grow it on a Poa alpina, we will see if there will be any effects (I think about sowing the seeds).

Traunsteinera globosa - aahhh... :) On a part of 1 hour track I counted around 60 flowering plants. On the longer tracks there were hundreds of them. Unforgettable view.

Rhinanthus minor - half parasitic plant. Quite nice, a from closer look.

Linum extraaxillare - It has that amazing blue, ahh. :D Why cannot it be so small and compact in the garden... :/ I know why, because I would have no reason go and see it in the mountains... :D How tricky plant. ;-)

Gymnadenia odorata - for the first time I found that species. From my observation it flowers about two weeks after Gymnadenia conopsea. Probably there are also crossings between those two species, but they are almost impossible to recognize. But I think I have found some more pale colour plants with that "tail" shorter... :)

Botrychium lunaria - very tiny fern. Unfortunately, so small and groing so near track, that after four days 10 plants were gone. :( That is really sad.

Ranunculus alpestris - This clumped looked so great, that I had to make a photo of it. :)

Gentiana verna - as promised, here you have. Still in full flowering. Just amazing, what to say more?

Saxifraga wahlenbergii - an endemic species groing only in Carpathians.

Solcanella carpatica - one of the really very last few. During my whole trip I have found maybe something around 10 still fully flowering plants. But still flowering, isn't that great? :D

This species I do not know. I think it is some Lotus sp. But I cannot find which one.

Solorina saccata - quite rare lichen. Beautiful, don't you think?

Silene acaulis - standard, growing everywhere on the peaks, and flowering very long. Than long, than the better. :D

Oxytropis carpatica - that was something new. That violet mixed with a drop of blue and pink. :D

Astragalus australis - It was just one plant, on the whole slope it was alone of its kind. Thanks to that I have noticed it and, something else. :)

Chamorchis alpina - very tiny orchid. I have found it when I almost touched ground with my camera. I photographed Astragalus and near by, low on the ground I see it. I was really paralysed with shock. I always thought that this plant is much bigger. But it is about 3-4 cm high. I will show more photos of it on the end, because I went there to make better ones the last day.

Oxytropis carpatica from the perspective of Chamorchis alpina.

Gentiana clusii - also the last flowering one.

Pedicularis oederi - finally I have a nice photo of this species to show.

Primula minima - I was searching for this one very hard to show it to my cousin and I found it. As you can see it already lost it colour, but it was still flowering. :D

Papaver tatricum - new fantastic discovery. I like that crystal clear, white flowers and its creased-paper-like petals. :D

Hedysarum hedysaroides - I must write that I have bought that one in Tatrzanska Lomnica last year. I had seeds and now I have seedlings. :) I year or two I will be able to offer this plant to you. :) The same with Astragalus australis.

Gentiana frigida - that one was a real surprise. I thought it grows only in the High Tatras, but I was wrong. I have found three places near the track where were growing about 5-7 plants in each. As you can see it was still not flowering, but I intend to go to Tatras just to make a photo of this one. I really must see it flowering. :D For myself and for you of course.

View from peak Ciemniak

No comment.

Species unknown 1. - maybe you will be able to help me identify this plant?

Views from Tomanowa Valley

Leucorchis albida - on this route I have never saw this species before.

Thymus carpaticus - it is so common in the mountains, but I cannot explain why I love it so much. I just do. :) If anyone want it, I can easily make cuttings.

Campanula trachelium - normally it is campanula violet/blue colour. There almost all plants of this species were pure white or with tiny accent of blue. Very interesting.

That is end of day one. Do not worry, I was 6 days in Tatra mountains so I will have that to show you. Each trip we took each day has something new to show. Of course the first day was the most surprising, but do not worry I am not off surprises for you yet. :) If you wonder why I write so late, I will explain, that I have my internship on emergency and I took one night duty. :D Next part of photos soon. (Sorry for mistakes, I am a bit tired.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:34:40 AM by Cephalotus »
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »
Fascinating plants and beautiful sights!  Thank you for posting!
I think your unknown plant #1 may be Hieracium auranticum or a similar species.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:46:59 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »
Fabulous photos, Chris - I do love your comments too as they are so heart-felt and convey you sense of discovery - your cousin must have had a fantastic time with you on the Tatra Mountains exploring.  :)

Botrychium lunaria - very tiny fern is so fascinating
Gymnadenia odorata  - does it smell during the day?
Ranunculus alpestris - gorgeous clump showing the shape of each flowerhead
Chamorchis alpina - very tiny orchid - look forward more of this
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:46 AM »
Lori, I know Hieracium auranticum very well, it is not that plant. I cannot find photo of this unknown plant in any of my books. It do not have any petals. It is not that it lost them, no, freshly opened flowers and they just didn't have any from the start. It is something else.

Robbin, my cousin did have great time with me. I cannot think about anyone else who would have showed here so many species, places, secrets and views... Gymnadenia odorata smells the same as Gymnadenia conopsea. Both smell very nicely and strongly during the day. I smelled both many times, I know. :D

Cheers,
Chris
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal