Specific Families and Genera > Primula

Primula 2023

<< < (8/9) > >>

Leena:
Margaret, P.reidii looks lovely!

Also here P.florindae does well. I have tried many times other candelabra primulas in the same bed, and all have died during winters, but P.florindae survives. It hasn't self seeded but it could be that there is no room for the seeds to germinate. P.florindae along with P.sieboldii are the best Primulas in my garden. It is not that our climate doesn't suit other Primulas, because I know that they can be grown here, it is something in my soil which they hate. (I have only one spot moist enough where I can grow candelabra Primulas or belled Primulas, and there isn't room there for others any more.)
This picture is from last week.

partisangardener:
Maybe lack of self-seeding  is because most of those Primulas need open soil or mossy sites without much plant-cover for their primal stages.
Maybe try some bucket with a small floating island for the first year? Then you won´t have to worry about regular care and can plant them in autumn or spring.

Leena:
Thanks but getting them to over winter is the biggest problem, so I have decided to grow only plants which do well (or at least do reasonably well) in my garden.  :)
There are so many plants, and also colour variations of plants which do well, and new plants to try, so I don't want to keep hitting my head to the wall with plants I know don't do well in my condition and soil. :)

You are right about self-seeding needing open soil, and that is probably why I don't have P.florindae self-seeding.

Margaret Thorne:

--- Quote from: Leena on August 08, 2023, 10:27:36 AM ---Margaret, P.reidii looks lovely!

--- End quote ---
Thanks, Leena. The three later flowers do not appear to have been pollinated, but the original one is developing well, so it may produce fertile seed. P. reidii was listed in the last (76th) SRGC seed exchange, so somebody should be congratulated for succeeding with it. Sadly I know of no other soldanelloides section species available in cultivation, though I hope Primula reidii var. reidii, P. soldanelloides, P. wigramiana and P. wollastonii still survive somewhere.
This year on our travels we saw the last of these in Nepal, but only just coming into flower, so this photo is from a previous trip.

Margaret Thorne:

--- Quote from: Margaret Thorne on May 24, 2023, 12:58:57 PM ---My thanks to the person who donated seed of Primula reidii var. williamsii to The Meconopsis Group seed exchange, circulated as 21/163. Ours was sown on 09/02/2022 and the single plant raised is in flower now. It has exquisite fragrance.
Is it possible to self-pollinate a single thrum plant and obtain seed? Does anyone nearby have a pin plant for matchmaking? Is there any chance of it being perennial?
Any helpful suggestions about perpetuating this plant would be gratefully received!

--- End quote ---

Our single Primula reidii var. williamsii set seed which has now germinated and the original plant is in flower again; so it is self-fertile and perennial

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version