We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mistletoe berries  (Read 1895 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Mistletoe berries
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
So I assume seed must be ripe in spring - at least on whichever Genus and species he sent me - I recall it was not the British one, maybe a hardy form of the German one.  Also that results may not be apparent the first year. is that true?

Someone normally brings berries to the AGS meeting in March or April to be 'attached', the first year it appears as just a lump on the bark, next year a single leaf.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
I am interested in ripe mistletoe berries if someone has any to spare.

Hoy,
I have mistletoe growing on Malus and Sorbus for about 20 years. After several tries with berries from x-mas mistletoes I finally succeeded in two plants on a Sorbus tree. Luckily it was a female and a male plant, and after about 6 years I got the first berries. I tried sowing these on different tree species, but they only succeeded on Malus and Sorbus. Fresh berries from my own plants germinates readily, but leaves are first present in 2-3 years.
They are fully hardy here, with temperatures down to -22 oC
If your are interested I can send you some berries in March when they are ripe.

Poul
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:21:13 AM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
Hi Poul, Yes please,  I would love to have some berries from you! Although I am promised berries from others too I think it is a good idea to try different proveniences. I'll send you a PM.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal