We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2012  (Read 33548 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Crocus November 2012
« Reply #270 on: November 29, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
This weekend I had Crocus wattiorum in flower ...

Kris

very nice plants. They are two weeks later than mine which are now well over probably due to different watering regimes.

Interesting to see them flowering with the leaves which is supposed to be one of the differences with C. nerimaniae. This year my C. wattiorum have flowered without leaves just like the C. nerimaniae
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #271 on: November 29, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »
Kris, nice to see Crocus wattiorum in so later time.

Tony,
in my observation blossoms Crocus nerimaniae always without foliage, it appears only weeks after the blossom and remains also the whole winter about no longer as 2-3 cm. With Crocus wattiorum the foliage comes by the end of the blossom and grows in mild weather the whole winter. Now Crocus nerimaniae about 2 mm has
long foliage, Crocus wattiorum about 5 cm.
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
Kris
very nice plants. They are two weeks later than mine which are now well over probably due to different watering regimes.
 Interesting to see them flowering with the leaves which is supposed to be one of the differences with C. nerimaniae. This year my C. wattiorum have flowered without leaves just like the C. nerimaniae

Thanks Tony & Dirk . Everything is late here , don't know why. I have some Crocus (boryi , eg) that are stil in bud .
I start to water the first weekend of september...
But I changed my growing conditions ...Previous years I grew them in some kind of plunged bed outside (covered in winter)
But in wintertime I had a lot of damage and lost many plants (especially Colchicum) So I want to rebuild this plungebed ...
And now (emmergency) I put al the pots with bulbs in my greenhouse (not an alpinehouse)wich is very hot. We had a warm august and september .That's maybe a reason ? 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:29:40 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #273 on: December 01, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
Kris, nice to see Crocus wattiorum in so later time.

Tony,
in my observation blossoms Crocus nerimaniae always without foliage, it appears only weeks after the blossom and remains also the whole winter about no longer as 2-3 cm. With Crocus wattiorum the foliage comes by the end of the blossom and grows in mild weather the whole winter. Now Crocus nerimaniae about 2 mm has
long foliage, Crocus wattiorum about 5 cm.
Just checked my plants - nerimaniae has 2-5 cm long leaves (finished blooming ~10 days ago), wattiorum - 5-10 cm long leaves (last flowers plucked off today). Outside is snow and minus 3 C.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
Just checked my plants - nerimaniae has 2-5 cm long leaves (finished blooming ~10 days ago), wattiorum - 5-10 cm long leaves (last flowers plucked off today). Outside is snow and minus 3 C.
Janis

I just checked mine and the nerimaniae and the wattiorum are both just visible at soil level only a few mm long.

I have looked at my photographs of wattiorum  in the wild and they also have no leaves visible.

Clearly they are variable.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:09:41 AM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
Tony,
On my observation, C. wattiorum is flowering with leaves even sometimes leaves start to grow earlier then flowers.
C. nerimaniae flower without leaves. On my nerimaniae the flowers are over long times ago but the leaves just showed the tips.
I just put my wattiorum page link: the photos taken in different gardens and in different conditions.
http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/wattiorum
with my best wishes.. ;)
ibrahim

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »
Tony,
On my observation, C. wattiorum is flowering with leaves even sometimes leaves start to grow earlier then flowers.
C. nerimaniae flower without leaves. On my nerimaniae the flowers are over long times ago but the leaves just showed the tips.
I just put my wattiorum page link: the photos taken in different gardens and in different conditions.
http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/wattiorum
with my best wishes.. ;)
ibrahim
Excellent homepage and pictures, Ibrahim. My greetings!
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal