We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nesting material?  (Read 767 times)

brianw

Nesting material?
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »
Recently I have had 2 plants attacked in the unheated greenhouse.
Last week there was a large(ish) hole in the top of a 6" diameter Dionysia aretioides, with 3 or 4 stems loose but still there. Today a delightful plant of Pyrethrum leontopodium had quite a lot missing and much of the rest flattened. No slime trails or anything else; maybe, just maybe 1or 2 mouse droppings. Oddly I just happened to leave 2 unidentified small bulbs on the gravel on the top of the last pot and they were untouched.
The Pyrethrum is so soft and hairy I am assuming a mouse has taken some as nesting material, so have set some traps. Any other ideas? No sign of birds or squirrels. The door is open at the bottom so anything from rat size down could get in and I can't even be sure it happened at night. I have before had some minor damage to cushions with what appears to be beak holes but nothing else recently.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Nesting material?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
firstly I'm jealous of you having Pyrethrum leontopodium

It could be mice gathering nesting material but my guess is the fur is too small
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

brianw

Re: Nesting material?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Update:
I have trapped 2 mice so far, so must assume it was them removing the Pyrethrum. If you have never grown, and more to the point "stroked", this plant you can't imagine how soft and unusual it is. The daisy flowers are good too.
What surprises me is how they climb onto my bench. It has metal angle iron legs (but some slots like "Dexion") and the greenhouse is aluminium, so not a lot to grip on. They probably climb up one of the thin lengths of aluminium channel that are bolted at an angle to keep the greenhouse square, and jump onto the bench, which was a deep plunge but is now just a box, sand only under the pots. I have noticed 2 teeth marks on a Zephyranthes seed pod too.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal