We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2 Lovely Nerine's  (Read 7771 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: 2 Lovely Nerine's
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
Nice display of Nerines there Malcolm and of course the "Zeal" tribe have Devon connections. I've had a number of goes with the garden species without any success at all, yet they grow as easily as weeds in many gardens in Devon.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
" bruise-coloured" is a good description of some of the purplish shades of several plants - nerines, iris, primulas, dionysias etc - lacking in attraction  to my mind- after all, who wants a bruise?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mavers

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »
Hello Malcolm I've just found this thread.

I love the Zeal Plum.

Here are some of the nerines I bought when I went to Exbury with the NAAS.
Mike
Somerset, UK

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Malcolm    - Alexandra is an extraordinary shade of orange.  Very good to see, I had no idea that shade was even possible in Nerine.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Mavers

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
Does the bubble wrap insulation really make a difference to a greenhouse that's just being kept frost free?

Does anyone think it diffuses the amount of daylight reaching the nerines to even lower levels during the winter months?

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

majallison

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Lovely nerines there, Mike. Yes, the insulation definitely helps keep heating bills down as there are nights (& some days) where the temperature remains below freezing & I have a heater going (with a thermostat) to make sure the temperature doesn't go below 2 degrees C. It certainly means that there's less light reaching the plants & they're more etiolated than they would be without it, but I'm happy to put up with this as I'm trying to minimise energy use while keeping the greenhouse heated.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Mavers

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
Right Malcolm, I'm ordering some UV stabilised bubbles during my next coffee break!

It was a pleasure meeting you at the NAAS Devon trip.
Mike
Somerset, UK

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
A pale pink form of Nerine bowdenii flowering now in the garden.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

François Lambert

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
That's fantastic John - flowering outside in the garden, your selection seems to hardy.

I have also Nerine Bowdenii, but they absolutely don't seem cold hardy.  This spring they really only were kissed by frost in the greenhouse and they did not like it at all with immediate damage to the foliage.  Moreover, the seedling bulbs I had from this Nerine Bowdenii all died following this sub-zero exposure.  After this chilly experience, over the summer, the Nerine Bowdenii have grown well with more foliage than ever before.  But this year they are not flowering, i assume this is also still a consequence of their having been exposed to a small frost in the spring.
I also have a Nerine 'Stephanie', I think this must be a hybrid or a selection of N. Bowdenii, and this one resisted better to the cold test of this spring.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal