We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2 Lovely Nerine's  (Read 7795 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
2 Lovely Nerine's
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
At Loughborough Show yesterday were 2 beautiful Nerines.

Nerine masoniorum has always been my favourite although we lost our pot a couple of years ago but N. filamentosa was new to me and has to go on my wish list too.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 2 Lovely Nerine's
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Lovely pots of Nerines, Shelagh - I see why they took your eye.

P.S. Moving this thread to Amaryllidaceae section
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:58:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »
Shelagh me and at least one other person i know admired the same plants,the masoniorum was just incredible.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

frits.kp

• I love rare and unusual plants
    • http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
Oh I can add a nice Nerine picture, not sure what variety it is though.
http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
twitter @Stachyurus_man

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Glorious pictures, don't these plants light up the gardens at this time of year. There is a little terraced house near us in Radcliffe which has nothing at all in the garden all year until autumn when it has a huge clump of Nerines and they always catch my eye as I drive past. I'm tempted to get out my spade.......
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »
Nerine filamentosa and N. filifolia (said by some experts to be the same species) are very reliable bloomer for me in pots.  On the other hand, N. masoniorum rarely blooms for me, which I find very frustrating.  N. angustifolia is another small nerine that blooms reliably in a pot for me.

No nerines survive to bloom outdoors in my area (Indiana, USA).  They all have to spend the winter here under glass with heat.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
No Nerines survive to bloom in my garden either but here I think it's the wet that does it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
Must write all these names down and look closely at the SRGC Seed list when it comes out. :D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

ronm

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
I would also love to grow N.masoniorum;)

Does Nerine seed germinate OK if it is not absolutely fresh though??  ???

Darren

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Ron - like many South African Amaryllids, the few I have grown have fleshy seeds designed to germinate immediately (sometimes whilst still on the plant) and which won't tolerate dry storage.

Ron and Shelagh - I just split a large overcrowded pot of masoniorum and would be happy to send you a clump each if you PM your address.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ronm

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
Ron - like many South African Amaryllids, the few I have grown have fleshy seeds designed to germinate immediately (sometimes whilst still on the plant) and which won't tolerate dry storage.

Thank you so much for this information Darren. 8)  DaveyP has told me much the same thing about the species he grows. 8)   So it would seem that if we wish to acquire these Nerine sp. we really can't use the seed lists. I probably would have bought dried seeds ( and failed ) if you hadn't mentioned it,  ;D

Ezeiza

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
As always, Darren is so generous.

Nn. masoniorum, filifolia and filamentosa are described as SE. This is, foliage evergreen but new growth and flowers develop during the warm season.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Darren

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
Ron - some of the South African seed suppliers (Silverhill for example) will send out freshly harvested Amaryllid seed if you let them know of your interest.

As Alberto says - masoniorum is effectively evergreen but takes a rest in the winter. Mine is not so evergreen this year after a snail mowed the whole pot flat to the soil in two days back in August. This is why I split it - I was going to get no flowers this year anyway >:(
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
Must write all these names down and look closely at the SRGC Seed list when it comes out. :D

These Nerine seeds are all "recalcitrant" -- germinating immediately, not able to go dormant.  Remind me next July to make some seeds of filifolia, filamentosa, and angustifolia, if you are still interested; then you can get them fresh!

As mentioned before, my masoniorum tend not to bloom.  Fortunately the others do bloom reliably for me most years.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Ezeiza

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
Jim, do they offset like mad?

Second, are the bulbs buried or exposed?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal