We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2012  (Read 20733 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2012
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »
Hello pehe,
Thanks alot..I am not good at but ı see some different crocuses flowering around my land.Also grow some imy land..But ı have never seen their seed pod. If you tell me how tos I can collect for you..

The crocus seed pod stays under ground until spring/summer when the leaves wither. At that time the seed pod grows above the ground, and can be collected. You can see seed pods here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/080604/log.html
But some garden crocus (hybrids) are sterile and don't set seeds. The crocus species which grows in the wild do set seeds.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

ikizzeki

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »
Thanks   pehe,

I have  remembered..But after fading fllower how can I define which speciies was it?
Because almost three different colours are around,and are  spoiled around.
I wanted to show some pics for but not succed on posting..I think one is C.mathewii .I correctly know it.Others are white ,purple erf coloured..

Gerry Webster

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
Poul, this is most interesting for us to see, in a year when we have none of the narcissus flowering that we usually expect at this time of year .... I think you will find Ian commenting on this in tomorrow's Bulb Log.
Very little showing here either, apart from one rather miserable N. cantabricus var. foliosus. Received - surprise, surprise - as N. cantabricus subsp. cantabricus.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ArnoldT

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
This one is right on target for flowering time as compared to last year.

Narcissus canatabricus var. foliosus
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Well in advance of mine Arnold. Narcissus 'Taffeta' is going to be my first of the season, should be open next week.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
As Ian bemoans in this week's Bulb Log, this is proving a very late year for narcissus here.....
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012Nov281354112077BULB_LOG_4812.pdf

Will we actually see any of our usual flowers from October, November and December before 2013?  :o :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
A late flower of a late planted Narcissus x alleniae

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

zonneveld

« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
I just measured nuclear DNA content of three clones of N malacitanus. They all have 29.7 picogram DNA per nucleus , very close to the weight of N elegans with 30.2 pg ..............If this is just elegans its presence is predicted as N miniatus (50 pg)grows in southern spain, the doubled hybrid between N serotinus ( 30 pg) and elegans  (20 pg). The non doubled hybrid is N x obsoletus (25 pg)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
Hello Ben- thank you for your comments on the plants mentioned in the previous page of this thread : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9612.msg260416#msg260416

and also in this thread ( with photos):  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9781.msg260507#msg260507

DNA results are of great interest to many. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
The question now to me is if N. x obsoletus actually is N. serotinus x N. elegans, or it's N. obsoletus x N. elegans because if it's just now, that we are starting to recognize N. serotinus and N. obsoletus as different species. Who knows if the hybrid was described with the correct parents or is a "retro-crossing" N. elegans/N. obsoletus like I think it happens in Balearic Islands.  To me it is more probable a cross between N. obsoletus and N. elegans, because N. serotinus x N. elegans must have been in a very long time ago, and today the environmental circunbstaces have changed a lot, and in addition there is a new species N. obsoletus, that interferes in the original crosses N. serotinus x N. elegans.
I think this problem it still open, and It's neccesary to locate and redefine in the wild:
1. N. serotinus x N. elegans,
2. N. serotinus x N. obsoletus
3. N. elegans x obsoletus
Even better if the study will also cover both directions of nothovarieties  :o :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:44:55 PM by Rafa »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
Go to it, Rafa!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal