We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium montanum  (Read 1369 times)

Chuck

Cypripedium montanum
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »
Has anyone tried growing cypripedium montanum?

I am interested because it is a native species that is close to where I live. I do not get frost in my area but I have grown Cyp. californicum in decent condition from seed. A friend near by has grown and flower Cypripedium kentuckiense and Cypripedium pubescens but killed Cyp californicum and Cypripedium montanum.

I am thinking of growing it in a mix of
25% lava rock
50% perlite
10% sand
15% bark and peat

The reason for the excess perlite is because it provides well air circulation. I tried growing Cypripedium californicum in a mix of peat and sand with Darlingtonias and the Cypripedium did not as robust as the ones in the perlite mix. If anyone have experience growing these please let me know.

I am also thinking trying to find a flask source.

John Aipassa

Re: Cypripedium montanum
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Not an easy one Chuck according to literature and experience by others. I am searching for this one for quite a while myself, but they are still very expensive. I had a little chat with people from Fraser Thimble Farms in BC last winter. They succesfully grow this one and have it for sale. Their mix is peaty/sandy therefore on the acid side. It needs a long period of 'dry' dormancy in their climate. They cover the plants in september already. So keep the moisture levels down to a minimum in the fall to early winter.

I know German plantsmen who succesfully have raised montanum from seed into flowering plants planted in the garden. I guess you might have more success when having seedlings that will adapt to your growing conditions rather than a mature acquired plant that needs to adjust its growing behaviour because of the changed conditions. Not to speak about wild specimens that have probably no chance of survival when taken from the wild (which is a no no anyway) and than to grow in artificial (pot) conditions. So go for seedlings.

I am trying to germinate this one in vitro myself with seeds I obtained last winter. I gave a seed pod to a commercial grower too. Maybe they will have it for sale in a couple of years from now.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Chuck

Re: Cypripedium montanum
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Mature plants are not worth getting because you can get in a lot of trouble. Also they are more dependent on their native soil mycorrhiza.

From what I have observed there are two types one that is up in the mountains and one in lowland areas.

I am after seeds or flask from the one in the lowland areas. If cultivating this was not difficult I would not have asked ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal