We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodophiala bifida  (Read 1072 times)

brianw

Rhodophiala bifida
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
I have grown Rhodophiala bifida for a few years now, in pots in the alpine house, but only flowered it twice before. Last year I repotted them (now 6 pots with several bulbs in each) and have given them a little more attention. A few weeks ago I gave them their first real water for some months, after a summer on the dry side but standing on damp sand so not bone dry.
Over the last week 5 flower stems have appeared in 3 different pots. Each pot happens to have come from 3 different sources, 2 in the UK and 1 Italy. These are likely to be the sterile form most commonly in cultivation so unless they look different I guess I won’t get any seed, but my question is does anyone in the UK grow this outside in the open garden? Bulb Argence seem to in France but with a milder shorter winter than most of the UK. The leaves don’t seem to suffer from occasional frost in my case and the tall 2 and 3 litre pots must get quite cold, so deep planting would be advisable. They would probably suffer attacks from slugs and snails if my very long lax narrow leaves are typical. They are upright to start but as they grow to 50 cms or more they fall over the edge of my bench.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhodophiala bifida
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
Brian, I'm moving your thread to the Amaryllidaceae section   :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

wooden shoe

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
According to data found on internet they must be able to witstand USDA 7. So I tried, but I failed. Last winter started mild but had a cold spell in February. It reached -15C in my garden and that was too much. I have seen some leaves this spring and start of summer, but it didn't look good, so I think I have lost them. But in the South of the UK you might have a better chance, but you better only try if you have some to spare.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

brianw

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
I have several bulbs, and will think about it. I suspect they survive OK in my alpine house because it is dry and although the leaves get frozen sometimes they never get wet, so don't have a wet thaw to cope with.
3 stems in flower at present, all the identical dark red form.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal