We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: growing advice for iris paradoxa?  (Read 1031 times)

pontus

growing advice for iris paradoxa?
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday i got 2 iris paradoxa rhizomes by post, and am expecting 2 more from another order i made a while ago soon.

Has anyone grown this fabulous iris? as they where very expensive i want to make sure i dont kill them, as for some reason i get the impression they are a bit harder to grow than lets say juno iris...

i tried to recreate their natural growing conditions of the mountains of kirghistan, afghanistan..etc, by making quite a limey, not too humus rich mix, with almost 60% aquarium grit and larger grit, in full sun.

i planted the rhizomes today. One of the rhizomes i did not water at all, just covered with 4 cm's of soil above the tip of the rhizome, and the other, i watered just the roots and tried to keep the actual bulb looking bit of teh rhizome dry, then again covering with about 4-5 cm's of gritty soil. I now cover them during heavy rains, as i know they prefer to be quite dry untill spring.

i just read however that they have to be kept very dry and planted quite shallow. So my question is..did i make a mistake watering after planting? and did i plant them too deep? (i planted a bit deeper to protect aghainst heavy frosts).

i read that some ppl keep their rhizomes in cold storage in wiid shavings untill early spring, and plant then,. to minimise risks of dying or rotting over winter...but the roots protruding from the rhizome seemed to me to be quite prone to drying out...which was why i planted mine immediately...

any help would as always be very appreciated! :)

Pontus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal