We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rebuilding a nursery - Copton Ash  (Read 95664 times)

astragalus

Re: Rebuilding a nursery - Copton Ash
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
A good reason to consider moving back home (I'm Southend born and bred) as my beloved bulbs would just thrive there, but then I would not be able to grow so many of the cool-growing alpines I've come to love and which grow so well here. Not sure I could live without my porophyllum Saxes or Primulas!

Sounds like a good reason to stay put!  You can grow the bulbs in a bulb or alpine house, but nothing
can approximate your cool growing conditions.  Think of the plants you would lose or would become a pallid shadow of themselves.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to stay put!  You can grow the bulbs in a bulb or alpine house, but nothing
can approximate your cool growing conditions.  Think of the plants you would lose or would become a pallid shadow of themselves.

True Anne, but I already keep my bulbs in a covered frame year-round and some of them are still pallid shadows.  :( I particularly struggle to get the likes of Narcissus cantabricus and Sternbergia to perform as there is just so little light in winter. We're on the same latitude as Maggi and Ian in Aberdeen on the east coast, but (on average) they have more sunny days than us. I should learn to only grow and be content with what suits my conditions but I just love the Mediterranean bulbs so much!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:16:42 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

astragalus

« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
I can certainly relate to that, Matt.  I long to grow the alpines that die if they dry out:  most of the kabschia saxes, campanulas, Himalayan gentians etc, etc, etc.  I've learned to love what will grow well here, after killing a large number of plants first.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
Well we cleared the leyland hedge in the front garden last autumn and will be putting alpine troughs there. On the other side of the drive was an incredibly boring plant of forsythia planted when the house was built in the mid 1970's. We had a little help in the garden today (which makes all the difference) and so decided to remove this too. This a warm and protected spot, so what to plant eventually? I'm thinking a tenderish shrub such as pomegranate or melaleuca or maybe one needing summer heat to ripen the wood - Daphne genkwa? Would be a good spot also for one of the Californian lupins. Good to have a bit of help to open up new possibilities! :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
Sternbergia would like just such a warm and protected spot...  ;)  Could be worth underplanting your shrub with a few if you still have the patience. If they're going to grow for anyone in the UK, it's you Tim.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »
I am bias.

I would select one of the Silver-Leaf bush Lupines, combined with other appropriate plants. It also looks like there is a bit of an over-hang on the roof that could help protect one from summer rain.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:47 AM »
There is a small plant of Berberis fremontii here at the moment so a lupin would be good.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
Autumn is seed collecting, cleaning and sowing time and these are some examples from a previous year (also on the Seed Photographs thread on the Forum). Because I have always propagated plants and grown a great variety on the nursery I think of seeds as the real heart of the garden from which plants you have lost can be regrown and so many interesting species from around the world can be raised for relatively little cost. Like the root systems of plants that are hidden underground, seeds don't catch the attention of gardeners as much as they should.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »
And...

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
And... (we must take pictures of the seed we are collecting this year, along with a scale, for the Forum).

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #355 on: September 16, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
Just a quick question about seed photography... I should (and will) do more of this but always have problems with the light.  How are you folks getting such well-lit, bright photos?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Lori - I did a bit of tweaking with the exposure on the computer, they were quite a bit darker (and in most cases adjusted for the flourescent light temperature). These were in our kitchen which is well lit anyway.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
A very enjoyable and enthusiastic talk to the Kent HPS from Ben Potterton (Blacksmith Cottage Nursery) on late summer perennials - only I am a little cheesed off that it is the monkeys in his garden that everyone comes to see! along with all the birds, and not the plants :-\ Can't imagine what our Jack Russell would make of a monkey - and vice versa - but it would be interesting to watch ;) (I think it wouldn't take long for them to become best friends).

His garden is much wetter than ours, over clay soil, and late perennials look to do really well, but snowdrop aficionados will know that the garden also has a large collection of galanthus. Nice to meet such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable plantsman and zoologist :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »
I thought that would be a good talk, Tim.  Ben seems to be a VERY busy fellow - would be super if  he would have time to venture north sometime.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
You should ask him Maggi, he's always off somewhere and no doubt heads up to Scotland for red squirrels or something.  It's not the monkeys in the garden that take my eye but the retired pelicans which I find fascinating.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal