We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh - alpine house and news  (Read 93905 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh - alpine house and news
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
Write -up on RBGE Research  in the Scotasman - from 30th November :

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/scots-flowers-face-extinction-as-global-warming-hits-1-3961015

Quick Quote :  " Researchers Chris Smart and Dr Alan Elliott used the “worst-case scenario” climate models for 2070 which predict Scotland will be hotter and drier all year round.

The most alarming outcome was for the future of the Himalayan Blue Poppy, a beautiful flowering plant.

The paper states that the suitable climatic conditions for the poppy are predicted to “reduce significantly”, with only the far north-east and parts of Shetland expected to remain in its climatic comfort zone.

There is already evidence for failure of the poppy during hot, dry summers in Fife, where additional watering has very little effect on the survival of the plants.  "

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2015, 07:41:22 AM »
Write -up on RBGE Research  in the Scotasman - from 30th November :

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/scots-flowers-face-extinction-as-global-warming-hits-1-3961015

Quick Quote :  " Researchers Chris Smart and Dr Alan Elliott used the “worst-case scenario” climate models for 2070 which predict Scotland will be hotter and drier all year round.

The most alarming outcome was for the future of the Himalayan Blue Poppy, a beautiful flowering plant.

The paper states that the suitable climatic conditions for the poppy are predicted to “reduce significantly”, with only the far north-east and parts of Shetland expected to remain in its climatic comfort zone.

There is already evidence for failure of the poppy during hot, dry summers in Fife, where additional watering has very little effect on the survival of the plants.  "

Thanks Maggie. The jounro didn't quite get the right end of the stick with this. The sibbaldia paper is available here with more detail and additional species tested. I hope its readable.
http://journals.rbge.org.uk/index.php/rbgesib/article/view/79/61
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
Thank you, Alan -  if I had a  £ for every time a journo gets things  wrong I could be  sending this from somewhere  with warm  seas and  sunshine!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
Unfortunately many young, as well as some not so young, journalists these days have forgotten, or have never really learned, how to do their jobs. Their knowledge appears to be satiated by what 'Facetwit' has to offer and a basic misunderstanding between that and real news and how to gather it and report it.

Or am I just getting old and tetchy?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
Well, you are undoubtedly old and tetchy, David -  but nonetheless, there is more than a smidgeon of truth in what you say. I am  often  disheartened to see  wither on TV or in the local press, something which was "doing the rounds" on Facebook last week being presented as "news"  .....#sigh#  ::) :-X

Kind regards,

Your old, tetchy friend.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
 ;D :D ;)

All Journalists aged under, let's say,  35, and those aspiring to be Journalists, should be made to listen to a recording of John Humphrys interviewing the Secretary of State for Defence on the Radio 4 'Today' programme this morning. That is what Journalism is all about not the froth that emanates from Facetwit.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcdonald

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. It has always been too dry here for Meconopsis. That does not stop me from trying to grow these beautiful plants. I have read that plenty of manure applied to the site is a good idea. This year and last year I have had two Meconopsis flower in the garden and hope to try others.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
A job vacancy at RBGE :  full details here   http://www.rbge.org.uk/about-us/vacancies

Horticulturist (Rock and Alpine)
Full time and permanent, based in Edinburgh
"In this job you will be involved in maintaining and enhancing the Living Collection, tasks will include potting, weeding, watering, propagation, planting, cutting grass as well as being involved in project work within the wider Outdoor Living Collections Department.

Applicants should be qualified to SVQ Level 2 or equivalent, have the ability to work to a very high standard, be computer literate, able to work in a group situation or individually, be highly motivated and be a good communicator.  Additionally, the successful candidate should have knowledge of botanical horticulture, garden maintenance, an interest in alpine plants and be experienced in propagation techniques.  Previous, practical horticultural experience is desirable."

Tristan_He

« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
Interesting thread - don't know how I missed this last year.

Ian, I think you are right in the first sentence of your post. Journalists are mainly interested in 'a good story' and are less interested in the nuances behind most good science. I doubt that Facebook has influenced this for the better but to be quite honest the standard of scientific reporting in most newspapers has always been poor.

Climate suitability models have to be taken with a substantial pinch of salt (see for example the Clematis montana story, or the model prediction that Meconopsis are currently difficult to grow in the Lake District). They are useful for broad scale predictions but local microclimates can make a huge difference. For example, recent research showed that tree shading along river banks can reduce water temperatures by as much as 10C during hot spells compared with unshaded sections. That can be the difference between life and death for many animals and plants. Also, part of the skill of gardening (and especially alpine gardening) is being able to grow plants well outside their normal climate window.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
Went to have a look at the tufa wall in the new alpine structure last Thursday. It is really coming on well with some beautiful cushions developing. I think this spring it will look excellent and well worth a visit.It can only improve in future years as the plants mature.

The old alpine house ,my favorite was as good as ever.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Did you know that the RBGE ( Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh)  horticultural journal Sibbaldia is now freely available?

See here :
http://journals.rbge.org.uk/index.php/rbgesib

Two articles of interest from Sibbaldia 13

THE HISTORY OF THE ROCK GARDEN AT THE ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN EDINBURGH
 Robert Unwin   
Abstract

The Rock Garden at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is well known and loved by alpine plant enthusiasts worldwide. This paper describes the history of the area since 1809 when it was established as the demonstration garden for the Caledonian Horticultural Society. It describes the change in horticultural fashions and techniques for growing and displaying plants, and the role that influential horticulturists have played in the history of the Garden. The paper is illustrated with maps and photographs taken throughout the period.

http://journals.rbge.org.uk/index.php/rbgesib/article/view/78/60

FORWARD PLANNING FOR SCOTTISH GARDENS IN THE FACE OF CLIMATE CHANGE
Chris Smart, Alan Elliott
http://journals.rbge.org.uk/index.php/rbgesib/article/view/79/61
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:37:35 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Tweet from RBGE :

Help restore the Traditional Alpine House at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh

"Can you help close the gap to restore the Traditional Alpine House?"

538838-1
Please donate today to help restore the Traditional Alpine House at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.

Built in 1975, our Traditional Alpine House cultivates many rare alpine species. However, as a cedar wood construction it has now reached the end of its useful life, and desperately needs to be restored.

Thanks to generous initial support from the A E B Charitable Trust, the Alpine Garden Society, the Scottish Rock Garden Club and an individual donor, your support can now help reach our fundraising target to restore this popular building in the Edinburgh Garden.

Please donate now through our safe and secure online form, or call 0131 248 2984 to discuss your donation.

https://donate.rbge.org.uk/alpine-house.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »
Update of the refurbishment of the alpine frames etc at RBGE
The old frames are demolished

The new frames are  coming along and are ready to be filled with sand

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
Nifty shaping of the bricks in the end panels. It would take me at least a couple of months and I'd finish up with only half me fingers and it still wouldn't look right!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
Why the old wall are destroyed, it seems they're still in a good state?
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal