We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus July 2012  (Read 2851 times)

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
Crocus July 2012
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
A good start, Crocus scharojanii from Caucasus in flower today.
Right the still green leaves from Crocus scardicus and pelistericus.
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus July 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
A good start indeed, Dirk. 8)

More treats for fellow croconuts here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9365.0 with Crocus in Macedonia in June....  8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
Perhaps you won't mind some southern crocuses in this thread Dirk as July is the real start of our spring, so far as crocuses are concerned. I have maybe 20 different out at present. One of the prettiest is C. x Bornmuelleri, in a trough. I'll try for some more pictures later today.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
Perhaps you won't mind some southern crocuses in this thread Dirk as July is the real start of our spring, so far as crocuses are concerned. I have maybe 20 different out at present. One of the prettiest is C. x Bornmuelleri, in a trough. I'll try for some more pictures later today.

Always ready to enjoy them Lesley ....anytime is ok....
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »

That's an early start Dirk ! But it is certainly a start to remember , very nice one... 
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »
In 2010 I plant my first Crocus mathewii in the garden ...Only one bulb ...And now 2 years later I was surprised by the amount of bulbs I get from this  single bulb in 2 years ...
I keep it in the garden al year round and this winter it gets minus 15 degrees ...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »

Lucky you, Dirk!

It is my 'dream' crocus. It is great to see that you succeed with it. Can I ask how you grow it? How wet do you keep it?

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:42:16 AM »
In 2010 I plant my first Crocus mathewii in the garden ...Only one bulb ...And now 2 years later I was surprised by the amount of bulbs I get from this  single bulb in 2 years ...
I keep it in the garden al year round and this winter it gets minus 15 degrees ...

Kris, what a nice sight!
I had the same success with c. mathewii some years ago. It multiplied very well for 3 years in the open garden until one wet summer where all but one were killed by rot. Now I grow them in a pot, where I can give them a dry summer rest.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
Lucky you, Dirk!

It is my 'dream' crocus. It is great to see that you succeed with it. Can I ask how you grow it? How wet do you keep it?

Poul
The pot Crocus scharojanii with very peat soil stands the whole year under a window. At the growth period it is richly poured if the foliage becomes yellow in June or July, only slightly humid hold. From June to September is covered with a black net for a bit shadow.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:24:36 AM by udo »
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Gerry Webster

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
Kris, what a nice sight!
I had the same success with c. mathewii some years ago. It multiplied very well for 3 years in the open garden until one wet summer where all but one were killed by rot. Now I grow them in a pot, where I can give them a dry summer rest.
Poul
Poul - My experience with many crocus (& fritillaries) is similar. They are OK for 3-5 years & then a bad summer or winter & they disappear. In my garden the only 'bulbs' which succeed & increase for a long period (>20years) are Galanthus nivalis, Chionodoxa sp., Crocus tommasinianus & its hybrids & Cyclamen hederifolium. Chionodoxa has effectively become a weed.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
Very nice weed though. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
some of the thousands ofselfsown seedlings in my garden at the moment of the "weedy' Crocus tommasinianus ,also of a feathered one
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
I got this from one of the bigger suppliers of bulbs as "Sunkist" but I think Hubi ID'd it a couple of years ago as Crocus flavus.
When I took the pic it certainly was "sun-kissed"  ;D
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:38:26 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
Poul - My experience with many crocus (& fritillaries) is similar. They are OK for 3-5 years & then a bad summer or winter & they disappear. In my garden the only 'bulbs' which succeed & increase for a long period (>20years) are Galanthus nivalis, Chionodoxa sp., Crocus tommasinianus & its hybrids & Cyclamen hederifolium. Chionodoxa has effectively become a weed.

Gerry,

I don't think that the reason for lost is wet summer or winter. During the years the crocuses, growing in good garden conditions, multiply and the space becomes overcrowed. So if you don't replant or repot then once in 3 or 4 years, they die. In the wild they don't increase so rapidly, they just survive. For a test, you can grow a good multiplying crocus species in pot, give a dry summer rest and don't repot for over 3 years. You will eventually end-up with loosing them. The same applies to lilies and some other bulbs. That's shows my experience.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Zhirair - this is not consistent with my experience over 20 years. For example, fritillaries disappeared following the removal of adjacent shrubs  which presumably kept the ground dry in summer. Others disappeared after little or no multiplication for no obvious reason. I've kept crocus in large pots for over 5 years with no problems even though they have multiplied to the point of crowding. I have little doubt that excessive wet &/or cold is the cause of most of my losses in the open garden
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:28:24 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal