We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pictures of plants you are growing from Archibald seed  (Read 182254 times)

Dionysia

Re: Pictures of plants you are growing from Archibald seed
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
I was recently given some seed from the residue of Jim's stocks among which is a packet merely labelled F&W11108. Does anybody know which species it is? I know it is Flores & Watson, probably collected in the Atacama desert as I have been able to locate the numbers immediately adjacent in the Master List thread. May not germinate as I believe it was collected around 10 years ago but nothing ventured. Also I received several packets bearing an acronym BCG eg BCG01 01963, Kelseya uniflora from Powder River Pass, Wyoming. Does anybody know what the acronym stands for?
Paul Ranson
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
Hello Paul,
a search of the Master List of Archibald seed .......
( http://files.srgc.net/archibald/seedlists/JJA_seedlist_master_SRGC.pdf
has not been very helpful, I'm afraid.

Nearest numbers are these:
RHODOPHIALA SEROTINA Chile, III, Atacama, between Ovalle & Huasco. A.Flores & J.Watson 11106.

ZEPHYRA ELEGANS Chile, III, Atacama, near Huasco. A. Flores & J. Watson 11107.

So there is a fair assumption to be made that the collection is from the Huasco area of Chile but that's it meantime!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Dionysia

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Thanks Maggie. You located those quickly, took me much longer. Ironically I occasionally ordered seed from F&W and have their catalogues prior to the one in question.
Paul
Paul
 in Chippenham

Dionysia

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »
That's very kind of you Maggie. I appreciate your efforts.
Paul
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I am still no further forward on the BCG matter.  :-\

I've heard from John and Anita on the other one though....

Collection details:
" 3 January 2006. Chile, Pacific desert coast, Atacama Region, S of Huasco.
F&W 11108 Eulychnia brevifolia (Cactaceae).

A large, branched cactus with very long and dense spines, reaching 2-3 m high on maturity. Entire outside of flower and large fruit invested in a thick, plush coat of old-gold silky wool. Flower bowl-shaped, about 6 cm in diameter, creamy white, the petals often pinkish on the reverse. A dense thicket of white stamens within.
This was the fourth seed gathering of the outing,  which continued up to the northern desert Nitrate Coast of Chile and turned inland to the east, crossing over the high Altiplano section of the Andes into NW Argentina. From there we made our way back down south until parallel with Los Andes when we crossed over back into Chile via the main pass to return home. It was the first collection of ours incorporated into the lists of the Archibalds for our mutual benefit."

I suspect that the fact this is quite a large cactus is the reason for it not appearing in the main Archibald  seedlistings!

Dionysia

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:48 AM »
My apologies for the delay in responding Maggi; we were helping my parents (88/85) to move house yesterday so you can imagine how little of our time is our own at present (as evidenced by the posting time!!). I'm pleased to know what I have just sown although I suspect I won't be desperately upset if it doesn't germinate. I don't think my space problems would be helped judging by the description.  Thanks again, Paul.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
No worries, Paul, I thought nothing of it. Actually, your note reminds ME that I had a helpful suggestion from another forumist about the possible ID of the "BCG" - which I  said I would pass on to you and then promptly  forgot, so I am the one who needs to send apologies!

The suggestion was that BCG might refer to Beth Chatto Gardens.

Dionysia

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
Not sure about the Beth Chatto suggestion. Would they really have sponsored or organised a seed collecting trip to Wyoming, Idaho and other similar areas? Paul.
Paul
 in Chippenham

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »
JJA 347.908 Crocus mathewii
Turkey, Antalya, SWof Elmali. 1000m. Open hillsides in very stony terra rossa. P.& P.Watt coll. (A lilac, autumn-flowering, SW Turkish saffron Crocus distinguished in the type-description mainly by its rich, deepviolet throat, though in most sites many plants lack this essential characteristic. In this site, investigated by Peter and Penny Watt when the plants were in flower, all have intense purple throats extending to about one-third of the tepals.)

This picture was taken yesterday, on 1st Nov. 2012. It’s the first flower of this seedling :)

I obtained 1pkt of seeds (5 seeds) from the 2007 Nov. seedlist and received Feb. 2008 and sowed immediately. The seeds germinated 100% Nov. 2008 but unfortunately the seedlings gradually disapeared year by year, and only 2 individuals are surviving now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:50:12 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »
JJA 347.601 Crocus longiflorus
Italy, Sicily, Madonie Nebrodi. Ex an A. Edwards coll.

Sow: Oct. 2009
Germinate: Nov. 2009
First flower: Nov. 2012
Tatsuo Y

JimF

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Galanthus reginae-olgae ssp reginae olgae JJA 509.301   

Purchased seed from Sept ’96 list: "Greece, Lakonia, Oros Taigetos, Profitis Ilias 1400m. Shade in decid. woodland. 16.5-95 D.M. Hoskins 95-146 (a little wild seed left for the purist. Collected further & higher up).'

From bulbs grown from the seed by Betty Lowry, WA, USA. Completely hardy out of doors in the ground in full sun next to a partially submerged rock. My bulbs, from Betty's original sowing, are grown in a pot.

Second photo shows the Archibald plant (R) compared to the clone Rosemary Verey grew (L), comparing the length of the pedicles and position of spathes.

Jim

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »
JJA 345.221 Crocus goulimyi var. leucanthus (JJA seed list, Oct 2009)
Greece, Lakonia, S of Monemvassia. J. Ruksans Coll.

Sow: Feb. 2010
Germinate: Nov. 2010
First Bloom: Nov. 2012
Tatsuo Y

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
In flower now is a plant of Cyclamen elegans grown from seed from Jim's selection JCA1141. The leaves are a little different in shape and texture (more fleshy) than others that I grow.

David Stephens

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 11:43:43 PM »
In flower now is a plant of Cyclamen elegans grown from seed from Jim's selection JCA1141. The leaves are a little different in shape and texture (more fleshy) than others that I grow.

Pleased to see that one still in cultivation Melvyn.
Jim collected the original seed 47 years ago on March 21st 1966, in Iran, 3 miles east of Nowshahr.
At that time it was considered a form of coum.
David

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »
Only just noticed your reply David, many thanks for this additional information about JCA1141.
Melvyn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal