We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wonderful Thunbergia  (Read 1408 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
wonderful Thunbergia
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
In this time I have a lot of flowers on my Thunbergia plants  :D

Thunbergia natalensis
Thunbergia gregorii
Thunbergia gibsonii

Enjoy
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
Re: wonderful Thunbergia
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Lovely plants.

I wonder if in general anyone knows of a good source of thunbergia seed. I've been looking for t. grandiflora and t. mysorensis for a few years. Had various t. grandiflora seed which have failed to germinate.

Found somewhere selling plants this year - it had clearly been a good plant, but something horrible had happened on the way - when I opened it all the leaves were dropping off. Company said "transit shock, it will start to grow again" -  taken all year to turn into compost.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
David ,

maybe look for seeds by Silverhill or African bulbs ...

I have bought my plants of T.gregorii + gibsonii from a special nursery ...
My T.natalensis I have received before some years from a friend as cuttings ...they need some weeks for rooting - after this no problem - it grows like a perennial
A other friend has promised me ( maybe ) a plant of T.battiscombei  ;D

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of silverhill. In the past when I looked at their site, the thunbergia where something like 'purple variety' a non-specific species description.

But better to have something unknown that grows than something exactly dead.

Time to place another order with silverhill...
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
here is the new  member of my Thunbergia's :

Thunbergia battiscombei

a really wonderful dark blue !

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
These are all beautiful.  I've seen the orange with the black throat around as a weed when visiting warmer areas than here, but have no idea whether it would grow here or not through winter?  I did grow a pale apricot coloured one for 2 years, it surprised me by coming back the second season, but a wet winter last year knocked it off.  They are a beautiful flower, but something I've definitely rarely ever seen around here.  I just love that blue, Hans, and the gregorii (which I'm assuming is the one I've seen as a weed in warmer areas?).  Thanks for showing us.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
Thank you Paul !

I grow T.natalensis since several years ( like a perennial ) - in winter I cut the stems and the pot is in our garage ( more or frostfree ) - same should work with T.battiscombei

What you have seen as weed should be T.alata - I have it not in my collection
..so far I know is T.alata and T.gregorii not the same plant.

My T.gregorii + T.gibsonii comes from a special nursery ...they grow it as anual plant

Hans

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, Hans.  I was surprised when the peachy coloured one I was given survived through one of our winters outside.  I expected to treat them as an annual here.  Unfortunately it never set seed.  The dark coloured one does look like alata now that you've given me a name.  Interestingly, the pics of gregorii on the Net do not have a dark throat, so yours may be unusual.  The pics there show gibsonii and gregorii as superficially very similar.

I never realised until now that there were so many species of Thunbergii.  Fascinating to learn new stuff.  Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal