We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Site visit :- New Ophrys apifera site  (Read 2341 times)

peter hood

• Was it better without the picture?!
Re: Site visit :- New Ophrys apifera site
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
Fred, superb pictures of a lovely site of a lovely plant; It is the density of the flower spikes that strike me. They seem very close together. I am interested that main companion flower seems to be white clover. At the site I am most familiar with, (below) it is mixed in with Red Clover in great quantity.
Maggie, it grows in surprising numbers surprisingly far north. I have found it in 5 places in County Durham this year, and two of the sites had well over a hundred plants. One of them, the Hetton Lyons site previously mentioned on this forum, has now had its visit from Sunderland City Councils Grass cutters again, so yesterday ther were only 22 plants still flowering that I could find.
Incidently, some of the sites in our our area are published in great detail and are very close to the roads.
Maren, and anyone else attracted by the reference by Peter to the Epipactis atrorubens site visit, (I reckon that usually the number of flower spikes there runs into 4 figures, not just three, though I have never counted them, probably about half the British population,) after going with the Good Professor and the North East group on Sunday, I will be returning with the Cleveland group on Monday, after a civilised lunch in Sedgefield. More details will be available for anyone interested. It is not the only interesting orchid at that site by any means (Fragrant, Pyramidal, Spotted, Twayblade and allegedly Bee ...etc.); hopefully Peter may post some of his pictures if the weather allows. I have a feeling I may get rather wet two days running.
Peter Hood, from North East England

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
There's also Early Purple as well, but they'll be well finished by now (and they didn't flower well this year when I was there in early May)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

John Aipassa

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
Fred, Davey, I have removed the postcodes for the sites you mention. While most forumists are good folks who would never dig  plants, there can be any number of  folks reading this who might be tempted.
Best if contact is made via pm to John A and Maren  :)

It is a pity that you'll have to to do this because of the ignorance of many, but unfortunately needed :-*.

Not far from where I live there is a nature conservation site formerly agricultural land, but given back to nature. Many different orchids have come back to grow there by the dozens and hundreds. It has become a well known orchid site, with the consequence that many ignorant people visit the site to dig some orchids for their garden >:( . It is illegal and you can get fined, but nevertheless.... :(

I have attached two photos (not mine) of the specific site. One with Dactylorhiza and one with hundreds of Epipactis palustris.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »
WOW John two fantastic pics,love the epipactis not a plant i have seen in the wild.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
Exciting to see so many fine plants, John. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
the epipactis not a plant i have seen in the wild.

Davey,
I know you've been up this way. Go a little further and you'll find them in the dune slacks on Lindisfarne.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Davey,
I know you've been up this way. Go a little further and you'll find them in the dune slacks on Lindisfarne.
Thank you Peter,isn't there another epipactis found on there as well?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

John Aipassa

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
WOW John two fantastic pics,love the epipactis not a plant i have seen in the wild.

Great isn't it. There is hope if you see this site. Once agricultural lands and after scraping off the fertile cultured soil until the original layer is exposed all kinds of wild plants including these orchids just pop up after being absent for many decades in these numbers.

And the best thing is that it is only a couple of miles from where I live. Just around the corner  8)
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal