We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2012 Site 3  (Read 1925 times)

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
Re: 2012 Site 3
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
A range of insects pollinate it and those that have a long probosces are able to access the nectar, in the long narrow spur.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

ronm

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Thank you Neil ( again,  :) ). "Know the pollinator, know the flower". ;D ;D  These orchids provide great clues 8) 8)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Fred

are these various sites reclaimed mining areas? They certainly look good and seem ideal for orchids.
Tony i will answer this because i am not sure i have told Fred the story behind this site,it was never a mining site these fields was owned by a farmer i used to know,he donated the land to the wildlife trust,he never used chemicals on them and they were always used for hay for his cattle,the farmer is no longer a farmer he sold a massive chunk of land to a building developer and made a fortune.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
David we lived in Nottingham during the period when many of the mines were closing and now when we visit so many of the sites have been reclaimed and seem ideal for orchids which is why I asked.

Yours is a good story and very welcome.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal