We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blue Meconopsis flower form  (Read 2301 times)

Chuck

Blue Meconopsis flower form
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:47:03 AM »
I bought Meconopsis betonicifolia last year from seeds online from ebay and the flower did not have a very deep blue color or a great form. Are there any good sources for seeds with better color or wider petals?

Here is the picture of the bloom

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Blue Meconopsis flower form
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
Chuck, in my experience any one batch of seed can throw a wide variety of flower colur and form. Sometimes the weather impacts on a flowering and next yearthe flower will be quite different.
 I'd say get seed fromyour own plants and sow it, and get seed from any source you can and hope to raise a strain in your conditions that performs to your liking.  Not the work of five minutes, but worth it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chuck

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
Ok I will try reseeding I already have seedpods.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
As Maggie said, collect your own seed and chose the ones that you like best.  From bought in plants, I have tried this and it is amazing to see the variation in size and cclour.  Some plants failed while their neighbours flourished.   Who knows, you may produce  someting special - that's what plant breeders do.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal