We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Asphodelus  (Read 1451 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Asphodelus
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:22:54 AM »
A few months ago I remarked that a seedpot labelled "Asphodelus acaulis hybrid" had some summer germinations after 3 or so years.
One of these is now in flower and is definitely not A. acaulis and I doubt it's even a hybrid of it! I just worry that it might be the weedy A. fistulosus!
What do others think?
32978-0

32980-1

32982-2
I still have it in the shadehouse but it gets destroyed if it's the weed!
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:35:54 AM by Maggi Young »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Asphodelus
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »
I doubt if it would be an A. acaulis hybrid, from the appearance. The only species I have ever grown is A. acaulis but some years ago I had a seedling appear right alongside of it which is somewhat like yours. Foliage the same, slightly reddish in the open, and the stems were long (35cms) and slim with many small (1cm) flowers on each, the same colour as acaulis (flesh pink). It had many seeds, much smaller than the very few I get on acaulis but didn't germinate when sown. I eventually dug it and heaved it out. However, just a year ago, another seedling exactly the same, appeared in one of the raised beds. It has been in flower through the autumn and winter, stopped now though. I'd go out and take a pic but it is TEAMING with rain right now and I'm not putting my nose out the door. But maybe tomorrow or the next day.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:09:34 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal