We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aberdeen show  (Read 12757 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Aberdeen show
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »
Looking at what is likely to be ready for Saturday I see a Rhododendron  that went to Aberdeen two years  ago but to Glasgow last year will probably  still be ok for the granite city this time. By contrast the rhodo that won the relevant trophy at  Edinburgh this year usually flowers for Glasgow - all of which just shows how a season that  started very early has slowed down.
Enough on the weather -  what is the home baking  forecast for this weekend??

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Aberdeen show
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
I haven't heard the home baking forecast as yet, Stan... but  thesoup will be Leek and potato, by popular demand ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
We had leek and potato soup for tea yesterday. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
Stan I have just had a sample of some home baking made by my friend Helen Mcgregor, It was lovely. There was a piece for my hubby but since he is away golfing and having his tea out I have had his piece as well  ::) ;D  Hopefully there will be plenty goodies to choose from.

See everyone on Saturday.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »
Well he can't expect to have his cake and eat it, when he has a gold club in the other. Too much of a good thing. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ronm

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
Well its the Eve of the final Aberdeen Show. :(
Good luck to everybody ;D, congratulations for what has obviously an amazing history 8), and hope that all goes well to Maggi, Ian and the crew for the Grand Finale tomorrow. 8)
Shame I'll never get to one :( :(, but time to move on. ;)

Graham Catlow

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
Two days of continuous rain >:( Plants soaking, pots heavy :( Had to scrub pots in the rain this evening. Got soaked through my jacket >:( Car loaded :) Early start in the morning :-\.
Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow ;D
Bo'ness. Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »
Travel safely, Graham - and everyone else who will be early on the road tomorrow.

Thanks for the good wishes Ron - it looks to be shaping up to be a lovely show.  The sun even came out for a little while later today!
Can't promise that tomorrow but it should at least be dry.

I can't admit how  long Ian and I have been Show Secretaries in Aberdeen... it would blow my cover as a sweet 18 year old...... but this is the 21st year in our present venue- and we weren't new to the job then!
It will be a bittersweet day... but who knows, after a year to take stock, there may be new blood to take over.... there is always that chance to hope for.

Off now to tidy the house a bit!

angie

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
Two days of continuous rain >:( Plants soaking, pots heavy :( Had to scrub pots in the rain this evening. Got soaked through my jacket >:( Car loaded :) Early start in the morning :-\.
Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow ;D

Same here Graham, I tried to scrub the green of my pots, back still not good so they just really only got a quick wipe, fed up with all this rain. Take care coming up, there will be a nice piece of home baking for you.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:28 PM »
I don't believe this : my boiler has sprung a leak.......... :'( >:(  Of all the times........ :-X

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
The main award winning plants.
Cyril Lafong took the Forrest medal with Daphne calcicola, a plant that has won several awards at previous shows.
SdP took the Walker of PortlethenTrophy for most points in section 1 due to taking the most plants to section 1; he also took the Simpson Rhododendron Salver with R. Ermine.
Cyril took the Craig Cup fro best Primula with P. forresti and received a Certificate of Merit for Cypripedium Maria in the 3 pan class for small pot sizes.
Ian Christie received Certificates of Merit for his 3 pans of Meconopsis and for Cypripedium Aki.
Mike Hopkins received a Merit Cert. for Lewisia Joyce Halley while Cyril received another Merit Cert.  for Lewisia leana. 
Harold Esslemont  had the record for most Forrest medals until Cyril ovetook him recently - fittingly Cyril won the Esslemont Quaich for 3 pans  of rare or difficult plants.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:10:01 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
In a very competitive section 2 Angela Townsley took the Brian Bull trophy for two plants with Silene hookeri and Aster natalensis as well as the Aberdeen Quaich for the best plant in section 2 with Cypripedium Karl Heinz- the photo is out of sequence-it is the last picture. She also received a Certificate of Merit in the open section for her Campanula.
Tom Macleish won the award for best plant from a first time exhibitor but also won the small 6 pan classes in section 2 and section 1- Diamond Jubilee B and A
John Owen received  the Bronze Medal for most points in section 2.
In class 96 for  mini gardens three sisters each entered  a garden and the judges decided that they could not be separated so all three were given joint first and shared the Elizabeth Bowl for the best entry  from a junior member.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:35:51 PM by Stan da Prato »

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
Here is the first of two batches of photos I took later in the afternoon. Thanks to everyone for making it a special day.

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:01:17 PM by Graeme Strachan »
Graeme Strachan in Aberdeen, North East of Scotland

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
Batch two.

Graeme
Graeme Strachan in Aberdeen, North East of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
A special "well done'' to Angie for her awards. That delightful lady is so modest I'm sure she was surprised but she loves her plants and garden so much that I've no doubt the awards were well deserved. Congratulations and jubilations Angie. :-* :-* :-*

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal