We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: daphne cneorum cuttings  (Read 4721 times)

John85

daphne cneorum cuttings
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
The IPPS recommand two methods:soft wood cuttings in April-May or later in July-September with semi ripe cuttings.
Which one do you use and what are the results?
What kind of rooting hormones do you use ?(concentration?)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: daphne cneorum cuttings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »
I know Michael Campbell will have the answer
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

SusanS

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
Hi John,

I took my first Daphne cneorum cuttings last year for a bit of practice for the plant propagation module I was studying.  I took fully ripe cuttings at the end of October.  These were split between 3 different compost mixes: JI seed and cutting / perlite, Coir/perlite and supermarket multipurpose/perlite at 50:50.  These were then placed on a mist propagation bench with bottom heat.  By Feb roots were coming out of the bottom of the seed tray.  I used no rooting hormones.  The take was 100%.   ;D

Since then Darren has read in Lawrence Hills' 'Propagation of Alpines' that cuttings could be taken in late autumn but this advice does not seem to appear in any more recent books.

Susan
Darren's t'other half

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
Semi -ripe cuttings in July is the best bet, but Daphne cuttings are a hit and miss gamble at the best of times. Really depends on the growth of the mother plant as to when the cuttings are ready,requires a little experience. I have got 80% take one year  and  less than10% the following year using the same methods and timing. Daphnes are not the easiest of plants to work with, they are not very accommodating. I don't find any difference as to rooting powders, and some Daphnes don't like them, so I don't use them any more.I usually graft the difficult ones until I have enough stock plants to get a decent batch of cuttings. I haven't tried Susan's method of late autumn cuttings as I don't have a mist unit.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but as I have said it is a hit and miss affair.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:29:57 PM by Michael J Campbell »

SusanS

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
I think my technique was very much based on one I learnt from me Mam -  I didn't know that the plant was difficult to propagate or that I was doing it at the wrong time of the year, therefore I had no reason to doubt that it would work.  :) 

Darren has never had any success with cneorum cuttings and was very surprised when I succeeded.  Beginners luck I suppose, I will certainly try again over the summer without using the mist bench and see what happens.

Susan
Darren's t'other half

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Susan, if it is any consolation to you, the more I study a plant and the more knowledge I acquire as to how to grow and propagate it, the less successful I am at growing it. I used to grow a lot of plants much better years ago when I was not quite sure what I was doing. At one stage I filled a seed tray with Daphne cneorum cuttings and every one rooted, I don't think I even knew the name of the plant then.
I have never managed to repeat that success  which I now put down to having more knowledge of the subject. ;D

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
I've always had real trouble with Daphne cneorum cuttings compared with most other daphnes (D. collina also seems tricky). I usually take cuttings in September and find that a lot drop all their leaves quite quickly - those that don't carry on to root well. But like Michael we don't have mist. I've sometimes wondered if spraying with an anti-transpirant (as sometimes used for Christmas trees) might help. Taking cuttings from good fresh young plants is likely to help! Sounds like we need to invite Susan to show us how!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
(D. collina also seems tricky)

Tricky! I even have trouble getting grafts of Collina to take, and those that do usually refuse to grow on.

SusanS

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
Now I know how tricky they are I will probably never to manage to root another one.  :) ;)
Darren's t'other half

John85

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
Susan you can still do some layering!
Thank you all.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Now- Daphne calcicola cuttings - winter care?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
Had a question on winter care of D. Calciola cuttings - advice , please?
From an Irish friend :
"I have daphne calcicola cutiings in a propagator since early August, with lid removed fulltime since I put them in a mini-greenhouse 3 weeks ago as weather has been mild.  Should I put the lid back on on frosty nights/days?  How best can I avoid fungal infections and damping off during mid winter? Please."

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »
Bet I know the best person to answer that and his initials are MJC ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
My initials initials are RIP which could be fatal for many cuttings  ;D
We have been taking Daphne calcicola cuttings in late September the last couple of years, using perspex domes over a seed tray. They usually drop roots in early spring and are ready to pot up by mid summer. Excess moisture is shaken off the inside o the lid and the top vent is open 100%. Its not a perfect system and is still in development. Have tried cuttings in late Spring but these all failed.

It's been really interesting reading earlier comments. We've been propogating Daphne for 30+ years, usually taking semi hard wood cuttings between June and July, timing is critical, the weather for that year dictates when the material is semi hardwood, so a good eye & nose (experience) is invaluable. The last 3 years we have achieved 99% success rooting, unfortunately losses have occured initially after potting up and through their first winter. Well we have had some pretty nasty weather.

Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

Brendan Marnell

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
Thank you, Rob.   I'm happy to be numbered among Maggi's Irish friends.http://www.srgc.net/forum/Smileys/classic/kiss.gif

When you say ...

"We have been taking Daphne calcicola cuttings in late September the last couple of years, using perspex domes over a seed tray. They usually drop roots in early spring and are ready to pot up by mid summer."

.... I wonder  (a)where that seed tray is located e.g. indoors with window/artificial light and within what temperature range or outdoors with what protection from weather? (b) what if any precautions you take to prevent fungal infection?

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Hello Brendan
The trays are on benching in a cold, ventillated poly tunnel. No chemicals are used to reduce fungal infection.
Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal